Galaxian Reviews - Submit Your Games and See my Reviews

Poggers. Thank you!

3 Likes

hello this a game that me and my brother worked on alot. i did the coding my brother did the art
(i did some pixal art) anyways heres the link: Flowlab Game Creator - FNF entity

3 Likes

Great, I’ll review this game after I’m done with Taile Gamougg 4. Thank you for submitting!

4 Likes

NEW Taile Gamougg 4 - By @John_Shrekinson

GENERAL

Review of Gameplay - Some time has passed since Taile Gamougg 3. Gamougg begins to wonder where his family have gone, so he embarks on a quest with his best friend Pro Gabrielfo and his sister Gia to find them.
You must hack-and-slash and run 'n gun your way through the levels to reach the goal, and hopefully find your missing family. Of course, there are dangerous monsters and assassins blocking your path, so this will be no easy adventure.
This game is currently in a closed Beta state, so it is obviously incomplete. How good is the game so far, then? Let’s find out!

Pros:

• Controls are a much better improvement
  • Simple gameplay
  • Story has finally been applied to the game

Cons:

• One level requires that you go to the editor to advance
  • The end of the Beta isn’t clear, so I got confused why Jinx did not reward me for dying.

SCORING

ART

In terms of art, I think it is really good. Aside from a few obvious default sprites, I can tell that there was a lot of effort placed into the game’s look. However, just like in Taile Gamougg: Ligma, the “next level” blocks feel very out of place. You should replace them with doors, trophies, or whatever signifies a goal nowadays.

I still feel like more animations need to be given to the player characters, though. Again, Gamougg and his friends look like moving statues. The only animation I found was one where Gamougg pulls out a pistol, but that’s it. At least other objects have animations…

Score: 4 / 5

SOUND

In terms of music, I noticed that there is quite a bit of variety: a peaceful piano music in the game’s prologue, and intense rock during some of the main levels. So far, so good.

In terms of sound, SFXs play whenever an action occurs, and they fit in with those actions.

All I can say is that this is a well-sounding game.

Score: 4 / 5

STORY

This is the first Gamougg game I have played thus far to have a story applied to the game. I would say that the story is decent. It is an interesting story idea to have Gamougg and Gia look for their long-lost family.
As for how well the game manages to keep up with this plot? It goes in weird directions: Gamougg eventually finds a chicken and needs to help it go to the toilet in order to spawn Pro Gabrielfo’s motorcycle; Gamougg agrees to help some random guy fight his mutant beef only to find out that the guy is an assassin hired to kill him, yet he doesn’t appear anymore; Gamougg travels to the Dwayne Castle in the middle of nowhere.

I had some trouble keeping up with the narrative after the chicken level.

I’m tempted to give this one a pass because, since this game is in a Beta phase, the story is a bit incomplete.

Score: 3 / 5

ENTERTAINMENT

:man_shrugging:

The game was a little fun while it lasted, though there was one level (The Castle is Far) that gave me a huge amount of trouble. And the incomplete Dwayne Castle required that I go into the editor yet again.

I don’t know, I just lost interest at some point. There weren’t a lot of cool mechanics to play around with, it was mostly a run 'n gun and hack-and-slash game with the same enemies and mechanics as always. Sure, some levels did introduce new weapons and such, but then I discovered that you could equip them anytime in the game, making previous levels much, much, much, MUCH easier.

Score: 3 / 5

ORIGINALITY

As far as I can tell, this game is mostly original. It doesn’t take any ideas from other games nor include unoriginal characters. So I’m gonna go ahead and give this a perfect score for now.

Score: 5 / 5

DIFFICULTY

Yay, the game started off with a tutorial! And the controls are simple and easy to use. You really have improved since last time.

I’m not quite sure how to describe the game’s difficulty. Some levels are just so ridiculously easy that I pass it in less than a minute, while others seemingly take forever. I think it’s mostly because the basic enemies are instantly shredded by the weapons available to the player, while the bosses provide an actual challenge… kinda. Some of the bosses are really easy to cheese: just find a place where they cannot harm you and then start blasting them.

There was this one “boss” in the Castle is Far level that gave me a big problem. He just flies at you and throws this super powerful attack that chips away 30% of your health each hit. And you cannot run from him with the space ship because he is too fast AND he can destroy the ship, leading me to my certain doom and forcing me to restart the level.
I always welcome an extra challenge, but the difficulty spike there was unusual compared to the rest of the game.

I think the Dwayne Castle is incomplete, because defeating its boss does nothing. Speaking of which, there is this annoying tile in that level that doesn’t do anything and cannot be destroyed, forcing me to go to the editor to remove it so that I can make some actual progress.
There is yet another level where you must use the editor to build a toilet for the chicken so that he can spawn in a motorcycle. Wait, that sounds weird: a chicken poops out a motorcycle that you then need to progress to the next level… that is super random.
And, once again, the equipping failure bug is in this game, meaning I must go into the editor and out again in order to fix it. I know in the description is says you must unequip the weapon before entering the next level. There’s just one problem: I don’t know how to unequip weapons. The game’s tutorials completely skip that part, so I have no idea what I’m doing. Also, sometimes you transition to the next level by talking to an NPC, so sometimes I have no idea when I must unequip the weapon to avoid being defenseless.

I mentioned previously that if I must go into the editor to fix a minor inconvenience, find out what on Earth is going on, or find out what I need to do, you are going to get penalized for that. Please, fix the bugs, you made this game. Don’t make the players do it ourselves.

So, main issues with difficulty is that some parts are super easy, others are super difficult, and a heavy overreliance on the editor.

Score: 2 / 5

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 3.5 / 5

BadgeB

Good work on this game, John Shrekinson.

I’d say that this is a far better improvement from the previous title. This game is heading in the right direction. My suggestions include adding a better difficulty curve, fix the bug where you cannot equip weapons, fix the bug where Gamougg disappears forever if you complete a level as Gabrielfo or Gia, and introduce new mechanics that make the gameplay more fun and exciting.

Congratulations, and thank you for your submission!

3 Likes
Response Kaizoku Sentai Gokaiger

That is the building mechanic. I thought it might have been a little groundbreaking because it’s the first time that Forge has been part of the main campaign’s gameplay.

Yeah I haven’t finished the mechanics or dialogue for that fight.

Now fixed :smiley:!

Skull Issues Skill Issues GIF - Skull Issues Skill Issues Bruh Hell Naw GIFs

1Withered Freddy Fazbear Fnaf 2 Five Nights At Freddys meme The Rock Dwayne Johnson

I don’t know how to put cutscenes in this game unfortunately…

Then you can try the new weapon combos as I add them, attacking while holding down V, C, X, [or Z] with certain weapons either do stronger attacks that deal more damage or stun enemies and stuff. As of this response, all swords have finishers, but only the Denial, shotgun, rocket launcher, and Demon Storm Wave have some other kinds of abilities to expand their moveset.

You have to use your the shields on your gun(s) to push the block down at the entrance to the castle, that’s why there’s a bloody-looking move icon at the top left corner of the block’s sprite. I purposefully made the block heavier by increasing its density because so that I could create a unique door opening mechanic that was different from all my other games. I was also inspired to do this by @Qwen and @cottonstudio’s games, notably their Gamougg fangames.

This is intentional. I wanted to sort of combine linear progression with the “weapon discovery and experimentation” element of Gamougg 3.

My notes in the game description did originally mention Vergil so that you could get motivated… But then I removed him because the sword in this game that’s inspired loosely by Vergil’s Yamato, the Demon Storm Wave, is motivational enough. If people want more motivation, they can just put on Bury the Light while playing like I did.

The easy parts are probably because deep down, this game still follows the “one-man army” trope that nearly all of my games follow. This reflects my internal gaming preference conflict too because while it may seem that I prefer skill-based games like Devil May Cry and Punishing: Gray Raven on a surface level, in my heart I’m truly a DOOM guy or a Halo fan (or both). In short, my preference in the games I play seems to directly influence the games I make.

Hm. I think that you can avoid this by killing the boss without using the ship to escape, and only using the ship to navigate the level after you’ve killed the boss. In other words, totally ignore the ship until you’re the only living thing onscreen. This tends to work for me. Just in case, I increased the time before each of the Nightmare Beef Monster’s second phase attacks by one second, and demoted both phases’ attack damage down from 30 to 20.

Yep, incomplete.

In lore, the chicken actually learned goofy ahh magic from the sons of Quandale Dingle. Quandale taught his sons some kind of ridiculous power, and one of his sons, Jamesius, taught a random chicken. This chicken then learned how to talk using the goofy ahh magic and later used this power to teleport Pro’s motorcyle to him.

I’d say that this is a far better improvement from the previous title. This game is heading in the right direction. My suggestions include:

• adding a better difficulty curve ✓(?)
  • fix the bug where you cannot equip weapons ✓
  • fix the bug where Gamougg disappears if you complete a level as Gabrielfo or Gia :grimacing:
  • and introduce new mechanics that make the gameplay more fun and exciting. ✓

Thank you for your review!

3 Likes

FNF Entity - By @Beheaded_man (and I think Deadly Smile participated, if the intro is correct)

GENERAL

Review of Gameplay - So FNF entity is based off of Friday Night Funkin’, a rhythm game where you must time your button presses to the beat of the music to defeat your opponent. That’s all I can really say about the gameplay.
This game is in an incredibly incomplete state, so I’m afraid there’s not much to judge.

Pros:

Yeah, I can’t say much good about this game…

Cons:

• Inconsistent artstyle
  • Extremely difficult (to be fair, I never played Friday Night Funkin’ before, so that’s mostly on me)
  • As of right now, is EXTREMELY incomplete

SCORING

ART

The artstyle for this game is extremely inconsistent. There are some FNF style art here and there, then some simple pixel art, and then a random meme in the background, then another drawing of the characters…

Let’s just say that the game doesn’t quite follow a set artstyle. It is a little difficult to focus because of it.

Score: 1 / 5

SOUND

The music is a meh, I think it could have been better. It sounds a lot like you used Chrome Music Lab; personally, I prefer to use beepbox.co because it is easy to use and provides you with a lot of different instruments. I think other Flowlab users have used other music platforms for music too, so try asking around and checking all these platforms out to see which one suits you the best.

This game could also do with more SFXs for the UI when you click on things.

STORY

Story is implied to be in this game, but so far hasn’t been applied in a way that makes it easy to tell that one is being told. Therefore, I’m going to treat this as if the game has no story.

Score: Exempted

ENTERTAINMENT

This game is so empty at the moment, that it barely held my attention for more than 5 minutes. There isn’t much fun to be had in this game so far.

Since this is a rhythm game, music also adds to the fun of the game. Like I mentioned previously, I think the music could do way better.

ORIGINALITY

This game is shaping up to be exactly the same thing as Friday Night Funkin’. Not only that, but I think there is already a mod for that game called “FNF Entity”. I don’t know, I’ve never played FNF, only watched people play it, but I just know that this game isn’t original.

DIFFICULTY

So, right off the bat, I noticed that you cannot get to the levels normally, through either story mode or freeplay, meaning I had to go through the editor to play the game. Already off to a bad start.

As I’ve said, I never played FNF, so I am extremely rusty with the game. That being said, a playable tutorial just like in the base game would be very much appreciated. And level 2, Meltdown, is just a huge difficulty spike in comparison to the rest of the game. I know that FNF mods do this almost all the time, but that’s one of the reasons why I don’t play the game: most of the fun comes from extremely difficult songs from unofficial creations (like vs Whitty, vs Tabi, Combat Madness Crossover, etc).

Not only that, but the notes are not in sync with the music, which threw me off a lot. I thought this was a rhythm game, where the gameplay is based on the music? Why is it so out of sync?

So, those are the problems with the game: difficulty spike, lack of playable tutorial, no normal way to access the levels, and desynced gameplay.

SUGGESTIONS

This game unfortunately got a D rank, so therefore I’m going to throw some suggestions to improve the game:

• Better music
  • Sync the gameplay with the music if this is a rhythm game
  • Finish the game’s UI functions
  • Find an artstyle you like and stick to it.
  • Make sure the difficulty curve is smooth and understandable, since not everyone is going to like a random spike in difficulty (especially for those who are new to FNF)

I think this all boils down to just focusing on finishing the game, since at the moment it looks so incomplete, it feels like it was made just two days ago.

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 1 / 5

BadgeD

This game needs some work, Dragon Warriors and company.

This game is just incredibly empty and in an extremely incomplete state. There isn’t much to say about it right now, other than good luck with the game. Hopefully, when you do finish it, it turns out way better than what it is right now, since it looks and feels like it was made recently.

Better luck next time, and thank you for your submission!

3 Likes

I think I’m gonna go ahead an clarify what each of the scoring categories mean, since the topic description doesn’t go into much detail.

ART

For ART, I will be judging the game’s art and animations based on how well everything looks, how consistent the artstyle is, and if it fits in with the game’s feel.

You’ll lose points if:

• Artstyle is inconsistent
  • Game lacks animations
  • Artstyle is terrible

Particle effects will be considered if any are present.

SOUND

For SOUND, I’ll be judging the game’s SFXs and music. Usually I’ll give you a good grade for this category if the SFXs are used well and the music fits in with the game and the scenarios displayed. Rhythm games will be judged more harshly in this department.

You’ll lose points if:

• The game goes silent too much (this is excused if the game is a horror game, or if the silence fits the current events)
  • The SFXs don’t match the events/actions that play them
  • Poor music

STORY

For STORY, I’ll be judging the game’s plot and characters.

You’ll gain points if:

• The story fits in with the game
  • The player becomes attached to or develops a fondness towards the characters
  • Character development is displayed
  • Characters are memorable
  • Story is well-written and well-narrated

You’ll lose points if:

• A plot hole that disrupts the narrative is noticed. Plot holes are errors in logic established in the story that ends up creating confusion or inconsistencies in the narrative. Let’s say a character cannot swim, but ends up swimming later on in the story. If you do not explain how that character suddenly learned how to swim, that will be considered a plot hole. A character failing to realize or think of something is not considered a plot hole.
    Again, the plot hole must be extremely disruptive in order to lose points, since they aren’t always a big deal or a sign of bad writing.
  • The story is told badly
  • Too many unlikeable characters

STORY is the only category that will be eligible for exemption, as not every game needs a story to be good.

ENTERTAINMENT

For ENTERTAINMENT, I will be judging how fun the game is to play, and its replay value if it has any. Basically, if I can remain focused on the game for more than 30 minutes, you might end up with a perfect score.

Simply put, the game just needs to be fun and engaging. This category might be impacted by STORY and DIFFICULTY.

ORIGINALITY

For ORIGINALITY, I will be judging the game’s uniqueness. It might be impacted by the STORY, ART, and ENTERTAINMENT categories.

You’ll gain points if:

• The game introduces cool mechanics that work well with the gameplay
  • The game has unique feel not easily found in other games

You’ll lose points if:

• It doesn’t bring anything new to the player
  • You use characters and content from other media

DIFFICULTY

For DIFFICULTY, I will be judging the game’s difficulty, gameplay, and overall feel.

You’ll lose points if:

• I need to enter the editor to fix a minor inconvenience, find out what on Earth is going on, find out what I need to do, or to advance to the next level.
  • The game is littered with bugs
  • The game has too many controls.
What Determines Too Many Controls

Think of this: if you were to play with a PS4/Xbox/Switch controller and that controller does not have enough buttons for all the non-combo actions in the game, then that is too many controls. Since controllers usually have 14-16 buttons, if you are approaching 14 keys for the game, then you’re doing something wrong. You’ll also get penalized for “too many controls” if there are various different keys to do pretty much the same action (like having the C, V, and B keys all equip different weapons, and not unequipping them when a new weapon is equipped). Also, littering the keyboard with random, useless functions will be frowned upon in this review topic.
It also must feel comfortable to press each key in the keyboard. This will be especially handy for button combos. So, if you expect me to do a E + P button combo while running away from the enemy with the arrow keys, I’d suggest you change your game’s controls before I give you a 1 as the DIFFICULT score.
Oh yeah, and if you are planning on adding mouse controls into the game (like moving the mouse to aim a gun), make sure it works well with the keyboard controls, and expect people to use the mouse. For example, if I need to remove my hand from the mouse to press a key in the keyboard, that will get you penalized.

I guess most of this just boils down to making sure that the controls are easy to learn and easy to use.

• There is an unusual difficulty spike (level one is extremely easy, but level too is extremely difficult)
  • The game completely lacks a tutorial and/or doesn’t give you space to learn everything (will be excused if it is easy to learn the controls)
  • Instructions are made too unclear.

Tips:

• ART - Find a specific artstyle that best suits the game, and stick to it. If pixel art fits best, then make everything pixel art. Mixing multiple different artstyles is okay if you manage to make it work.
  • SOUND - Unless you’re trying to make a horror game, make sure that the game doesn’t become quiet at times.
  • STORY - Try adding cutscenes and NPCs into the game to create a more engaging story.
  • STORY - Not all games need obvious story-telling. If you can tell the game’s story through secrets, that is terrific… just make sure that it works well.
  • ENTERTAINMENT - Think to yourself: “Is this game fun?” “Will people be playing this game for hours at a time?” Try asking friends and family to play the game and see if they have fun.
  • DIFFICULTY - Make sure that new players know what they need to do instead of leaving them to their own devices. That’s like putting someone in the middle of a WWII battlefield, giving them nothing but a Chess pawn, and saying, “Okay, try to defeat the enemy forces on your own. Goodbye!” Sadly, that someone cannot just hop into the editor to figure out just how to accomplish this goal, so I’m going to be acting the same way. If I must break this act to find out what to do, then you’ll get penalized.
  • DIFFICULTY - Get friends and family to play the game to see what they think of the game’s difficulty. If they are struggling, and that struggle clearly annoys them, that must tell you that the game is too difficult. Listen to their feedback for more info.
  • DIFFICULTY - If the game needs more than 14 keys for important actions, then that is too many controls. Make sure that, when you add controls to the game, that they are going to be useful and important for certain points of the game. Don’t add 10 different buttons to equip cosmetics, or have the driving controls vastly different from the walking controls.
7 Likes

uhhhh this is alot

I have a story for it if you want me to tell you it

THIS GAME IS COMPLETELY ORIGINAL

Respect :handshake:

3 Likes

No that’s total BS bruh the technical term for what you and your brother have created here is a “fangame” based on a fan-made modification of the hit video game Friday Night Funkin’.

I did this too in the past, but it’s always better to actually put the story into the game.

MetaNinja does very in-depth reviews :slightly_smiling_face: :+1:

6 Likes

Hi! I really like your reviews. Do you think you can review Dystopian World in Fireball. io 2? The game is quite long, so if you want you can just review a part of it. https://flowlab.io/game/play/484707

4 Likes

Sure thing! I’ll try to play as much of the game as I can. Thank you for submitting the game!

4 Likes

2 Likes

I mean, it’s okay if he doesn’t like it. I’m not much of a fan of the game either, mostly because all the fun stuff come from unofficial mods and that the base game contains a lot of dirty jokes and references (Pico in Week 3 is from a game called Pico’s School, where you play as a school shooter. Given recent events, such a concept for a game is very, very questionable. Then again, that game was made several years ago, but even so it no longer fits in well with the present context).

2 Likes

better call saul goodman 3d meme

Agree but galactian has made anti-FnF propaganda posts before so I memed him

2 Likes

my game is completely original

Stop ignoring what I say and actually understand the meaning before arguing with me.

1 Like

Alright, let’s just try to end the argument right here before this thread ends up being the host of a flame war. It’ll be a shame if this topic ends up being closed because of petty arguing.

@Beheaded_man, the reason why I stated that this game is not original is that it is literally just Friday Night Funkin’ but with the Entity mod only. I’ve seen FNF before, and I’ve heard of the mod before. All of these already exist. You didn’t create FNF Entity, you merely remade it. Even your profile admits that this is the case:

Proof

In my reviews, the ORIGINALITY section analyzes a game’s uniqueness and creativity. Taking an already existing concept and recreating it doesn’t demonstrate either of those qualities. Therefore, I considered the game to be unoriginal and gave you a 1 / 5. Besides, with how empty the game was when I reviewed it, I didn’t see anything new. How can I call emptiness “unique and creative”?

Even if you continue to disagree with me, there is no point in yelling at me. You asked for feedback for the game, and so I did what you asked. If you don’t like the review, then that’s okay, just try to remain calm and civil about it.

10 Likes