Galaxian Reviews - Submit Your Games and See my Reviews

Based

2 Likes

could you review ABYZ? I don’t think I’ve gotten it reviewed by anyone yet.

6 Likes

Yes, I’ll review it once I am done with Fireball.io 2. Thanks!

Wait, no way that’s an actual website… well, that was pretty interesting. :sweat_smile:

6 Likes

Yeah, I named my first game “Fireball. io” back in 2016 because I liked “.io” games, lol. I’m considering changing the title, though I can’t think of anything good rn ¯_ (ツ)_/¯

4 Likes

Bello! May you please review [what is possibly] the best Minion game on Flowlab?

Also made in collaboration with John Shrekinson.

3 Likes

oh thanks for reminding me

2 Likes

guess my game is a remake but the characters arent thats what im trying to say

2 Likes

Fireball. io 2 - By @Luminous

GENERAL

Review of Gameplay - In this game, you play as Fireball and Electron (I think the former’s name is Fireball? I honestly cannot remember). Their village was raided and destroyed by the Dark Guardian, a vengeful group of individuals who are blinded by rage and betrayal. Fireball embarks on a journey to defeat the Dark Guard and save the world, while Electron tries to flee from their grasp while facing a dark entity in the meantime.
I played all 3 sections in a single run, and I must say that this game is one heck of a ride.

A quick side-note; I used to play this game on-and-off for the past 3 years, and then lost interest after some point because it was impossible to advance to the level after the “Defend Against the Dark Guard” level (I don’t remember when this was, or why, I just remember that it was the “final” level at the time). This playthrough was a trip through memory lane, and I enjoyed it.

Pros:

• Simple gameplay
  • Very fun!
  • An incredibly engaging story that alters slightly depending on what actions you take
  • The bosses are incredible!
  • Objectives are made clear almost all the time, so it is easy to understand what to do. The real challenge comes from actually accomplishing the goal.

Cons:

• Healthbar can get quite buggy at times (see DIFFICULTY)

SCORING

ART

So most of the art in the game is pretty simplistic, but it is pretty neat either way. It all looks so cute and charming, which makes it a bit more shocking when it’s juxtaposed with the rather dark story and the last boss of the third chapter. I think you did an amazing job with all the sprite art in this game, and it is one of my favorites out of all the games I have reviewed thus far.

The only complaint I can give with the art is that there is a lack of animation for many sprites in the game. It makes many things look like still images moving around (plus, some kind of indicator for suffering damage would be neat). Of course, there are still some animations in the game, so I won’t judge too harshly.

Score: 4 / 5

SOUND

The SFXs of this game are really great. They occur whenever an action is made and it fits in with that action. There is also a great variety of sounds in this game, so that is another plus! Though I just wish that there would be some kind of noise that would play whenever you take damage. Sometimes I take damage without noticing.

As for the music, I love the choices that you picked for the game. The music is absolute fire, and they really make the game all the more epic. It fills me with a sense of determination, and the feeling that my actions may determine the fate of the world…

Score: 5 / 5

STORY

The story of Fireball. io 2, titled “Dystopian World”, is surprisingly emotional and dark for such a cute looking game…

Brief summary, may contain spoilers

I think it’s best for people to experience the story for themselves, so I’ll just summarize what’s going on:
Fireball lives in a small village that suddenly gets attacked by the Dark Guard. Having no other options but to flee, Fireball realizes that they’re the only one capable of taking down the Dark Guard and saving their friends. Of course, they end up in a few side-quests here and there, like putting a group of undead to rest and giving a hopeful speech to hopeless survivors.
Chapter/Section 3 focuses on Electron, Fireball’s friend who also survived the attack. He ends up being captured by a rebellion group, and later comes face-to-face with a dark entity hell-bent on destroying the world.

Normally, when it comes to stories, I like the types that are emotional and have a dark tone, which is why I love dystopian stories. The fact that this game is literally all of the above, I can give this story a gold medal. The only complaint I can give is that some dialogue and interactions imply that the characters have limbs, eyes, and blood, yet none of these are visible on many of the characters (how in the world does a fireball bleed?), especially since many of them are elemental orbs/cubes. However, it’s a detail I heavily overlooked since it’s not much of a big deal. In fact, some of the descriptions add to the mood of the game.

Is this my favorite story for a game? No, despite all the dystopian elements and maturity, I’ve seen - in my opinion - better stories. But does this category deserve a perfect score nonetheless? Yes, because the story is still really, really, REALLY good.

ENTERTAINMENT

This game, from start to finish, was extremely fun and engaging. This was mostly because of the story and the gameplay. I think my favorite moments were the stealthy levels, like the zombie-infested lab and the Dark Guard patrol (somehow I managed to get past the latter without being detected, which gave me an achievement).

I spent the majority of my game time with the Section 3 boss. That was super hard… but also super fun! It’s my favorite boss so far.

Classic mode is boring in comparison, so I only played that for 2 minutes before resuming Dystopian World. But overall it is a really fun game.

ORIGINALITY

As far as I can tell, this game is completely unique and creative. I don’t think I’ve experienced a game quite like this one. Ever. Each of the mechanics stand out as this game’s very own, and while games taking place during wartime isn’t a new thing, it is quite interesting to play from the perspective of survivors. Maybe this game was inspired by other games that dealt with surviving a brutal war, but it felt like it’s own experience, which is all that matters.
For some reason, the game gave me Fireboy and Watergirl vibes, but I think that’s because the protagonist is a fireball named Fireball and Pete was once named “Waterball”.

DIFFICULTY

Despite having simple gameplay and easy controls, this game is a mixture of chill and really challenging. The chill moments are mostly just in-between two hard levels, and rarely have I been able to pass a level without dying at least once (I did have some flawless runs, though). I actually like the difficulty for this game. It’s not rage-inducing and it almost always feels fair. It is difficult but doable. I always welcome a challenge.
The objectives are made pretty clear as well. Not every level is the same, and the game makes sure that you know what to do. If it threw me into these scenarios without explaining what is going on, I’d for sure be extremely lost.

There is one concern that I have, and it impacts the score a bit: there is a bug that has been in the game for as long as I can remember, and it still occurs today. This bug mainly affects the health bar.
Sometimes I die even though the health bar has not reached zero, and as a result I restart the whole level again with less health than I’m supposed to. This has made some bits much harder than they’re supposed to (I remember more than once I started the Prison Escape level with just 1 or 2 health remaining, meaning I had to do everything without getting hurt).

I think this has to do with the health bar being kept between levels, which I honestly don’t think is a good idea. If you need more feedback on the health bar, just ask and I’ll try to provide as much feedback as possible.

Score: 4 / 5

CONCLUSION

FINAL SCORE: 4.6 / 5

BadgeA

Impressive work on this game, Luminous!

Even though this game doesn’t have the highest score in these reviews, let alone a perfect one, this is one of my favorite Flowlab games thus far. When I used to play this, it felt like one of those games were you play it a bit, finish it, then forget about it later on. But right now, with the progress that the game has underwent, it is a game that I will definitely remember for as long as I live. It deserves to be a featured game.

Please let me know when you’re done with the next few chapters of the game, because I am really looking forward to it! :grin:

Congratulations, and thank you for your submission!

6 Likes

Hey, thanks for the great review!

I’ll definitely try to add a damage indicator later on, once I find a method that works with the game. As for the healthbar, I placed one health bar at the beginning of each section so that the player always has one wherever they choose to start the game, so there may have been multiple health bars active by the 2nd-3rd chapters. I might be able to fix this by resetting the value of the health bar(s) at the beginning of each section.

Otherwise, I’m glad you enjoyed the game! I really appreciate the feedback (:

4 Likes

its been a bit and i added a few more thing so i hope you like 0.4

4 Likes

Alright then. The current list of game that need to be reviewed are (in order):

1. ABYZ
  2. Minions: The Rise of Gru Unofficial Flowlab Game
  3. Raise a Noob (re-review)
7 Likes

Sorry to add another game onto that list

7 Likes

That’s alright. I’ll see if I can get the reviews started again Sunday (July 31st).

6 Likes

This game is unfinished and will be completely refined and optimized when flowjam is over, but for now I’d like to know what to improve and what to add, so I might as well get it in the queue.

4 Likes

Hello everyone! You may have noticed that it has been close to two months since I last did a review. Really sorry about that.

I’m still going to continue making reviews for games (they’ll just be greatly spaced out). So far, here is the list of games I need to review:

1. ABYZ by @HuckleBerry
  2. Minions: The Rise of Gru Unofficial Flowlab Game by @117JOJO
  3. Raise a Noob (re-review) by @Vaprzz
  4. Color Complex by @CodeAlpaca
  5. Chronophobia by @Galactian

Due to my slower activity recently, I’d recommend waiting until I get one more review out before making another submission. Otherwise, I’d be overwhelmed.
Furthermore, if you no longer want your game to be reviewed for whatever reason, just let me know before I beat you to it.

Have a great day or night! :wave:

7 Likes

Bro

8 Likes

Whoops i didn’t see that. Sorry.

4 Likes

Ok so this game is still in early development I will post the game in here again when it is done but just want some review if this game has potiently

1 Like

BRO

4 Likes

So Crap SO SORRY METANINJA! :pensive:

3 Likes