Has Anyone Made a Soft Body?

Do you know anyone who has created a soft body?

2 Likes

…
What’s a softbody? I have no idea, like seriously.

2 Likes

It’s an object that is elastic sort of, it can bounce and squish and stretch

Normally made by creating many mass points and Hooke’s law or whatever

If nobody has, I’m going to take a stab at it

2 Likes

Bouncy? Ease? I think those could both be used to make a pretty elastic character. You just have to get the timing correct.

1 Like

for physics, not appearance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyQP4t_wOGI

2 Likes

Good luck on trying to make one. It may revolutionize flowlab… But who knows?

4 Likes

lol yes, but I hate working with these kind of things that have the potential to crash the tab at any momment.

My work gets deleted often

3 Likes

I tried making a soft-body sim a long time ago, but Flowlab isn’t really meant for that kind of thing, since you can’t really “attach” objects. (I know about the Attacher behavior, but it’s different. It’s not the kind of attachment you really need).

Anyways, it requires a lot of code to attach them. Maybe I could do it now, but I’m not sure…

4 Likes

So far - I’ve only gotten some pretty basic springs working out for me.

I’m trying to connect them together and make a basic shape

I have no idea how I would make the visuals, though. How could I fill the space between these mass points with color??

Using a bunch of math, you can position, scale, and rotate two triangles to always fit inside
(or 4 if you want it to be more accurate)

2 Likes

i’ll look into it, thanks

2 Likes

https://flowlab.io/games/play/2370121

For anybody who wants to see my progress, here’s a 4 corner cub I made with corner mass points, connected by springs… The math and coding is not very efficient, will fix it later. For now, I’m just making it work, and easier to understand.

2 Likes

can you give calculations or a website with them?

Drafty kind of made something like this before as well as Brickcentric I think, you could ask them

Ok, I don’t even know what is going on now. lol

Epic!

1 Like

WOW! This is really good!

1 Like

haha, it’s barely functionable. I’m going to try to fix the ability to slip in between them and change the spring functions too.

1 Like

If you complete this, you should get Pushing the Envelope.

2 Likes

I mean, it’s interesting, but idk about pushing the envelope. If it’s actually like a full entire non buggy soft-body maybe, but otherwise I hold Pushing the Envelope in a higher standard.
But it is interesting what he has so far, so maybe it will get to that point.
But I also think it needs to be optimized more, seems like needing to create a new object for each point is inefficient

2 Likes