I can help if you need art advice woop woop!

Alrighty, thanks again for the tips.

1 Like

no problem! anytime!

1 Like

It depends on what you want. do you need advice on general design? I can give you a few tips on that. maybe you need help solidifying an already existing design. or do you need to come up with fun concepts? that relies mostly on your own creativity, which I suppose I can give advice on? I’m not sure.
either way, might be a good idea for you to elaborate (:

1 Like

I need help solidifying an already existing design/I just need some help with the sprite itself. They are good for now, but don’t look very polish or clean. Coming up with design Ideas is probably my biggest strength, but it doesn’t help much if they don’t look good in-game.

alright, well if you show me what you have, I can have a better idea for what you might want to work on?

Sure thing! Just give me a little bit and I’ll whip something up.

Thanks! You’re very helpful.

1 Like

The details were by @Ramshacklegamestudios. For some reason he can’t get on the forums right now, so that’s why i’m posting these in his place, lol.

1 Like

I’d recommend watching Brandon James Greer on YouTube
Some of my best pixel art was done with Brandon’s methods and advice
Sprites from my game Winner Winner for example: chicken sprites

2 Likes

I’m working on this, how bad is it? (art-wise)

Do you have advice on making art for a player?

the designs are okay, but you might want to add detail on the black clothed ones.they seem to just be dressed in black and nothing else. if you can give them a belt, or something pinned on their chest, it’d make it look way better. also, a bit of shading never hurt, you might want to look into that. accents and shading is most of what it is.

1 Like

I agree, he makes great videos for people who are starting out with pixel art and want tips on how to improve.

it looks cute! you might, however want to add a small transition animation between the sliding and the standing, to make it look more fluid. aside from that, try to keep the pixels the same size. it looks a little jarring when some pixels are really big while others are small little dots.

1 Like

well, a lot of it relies on design. that uses your personal creativity, but you can also try to use simple shapes and take inspiration from other things to design a neat character.
depending on what you want the character to do, you’d want to plan out the animations that you’d want to have them perform.

1 Like

Thanks for both pieces of advice! I’ll keep both in mind.

this should apply to everyone, but I can’t help much if your questions are too vague. “how do I make a character” doesn’t give me a clear idea for what you want. if you were to have a chef help you with cooking, you wouldn’t ask them “how do I cook?”, you’d ask them how you’d cook a specific dish. (if that analogy holds up)

1 Like

You answered exactly what I was looking for, but next time I’ll be more specific.

1 Like

Hi, do you also cover animation?
I wanted to create an animation of a spinning wheel but I can’t get the rotation aspect of it correctly.
WHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEL

1 Like

it can depend on what you want the wheel to be used for. if this is for a car, you’d want a wheel to spin way faster.
not all animation frames need to be clear and independantly readable. you want a nice animation, not nice frames. that’s why smear frames exist! they help to improve snappy movement by distorting the image. some nice squash and stretch. I did it for the latest flowjam, as you can see with the axes, right here:

now, for your wheels, you might want to look at how sonic’s legs move in the older pixel art games. as you can see here, the legs are just spinning whirls. try to make your wheels look like they’re spinning a little more by blurring the details between em
lemme know if that’s helpful! (:

3 Likes