I can help if you need art advice woop woop!

The wheels are meant to be train wheels although they look more like wagon wheels, I don’t want them to be particularly fast just slowly trucking along. I don’t think that I can use stretch and squash but I’ll try smearing. Thanks for the advice!

1 Like

yeah, i think even if the train would be slowly trucking along, the wheels would be spinning fast enough to warrant a smear. train wheels also don’t have spokes, they’re solid cylinders of metal. I think the appropriate animation would be to keep the shape static, but make the shading and highlights (as a piece of metal, there’d be some glimmer) smear around a bit.
glad I could help (:

1 Like

The older train wheels actually had spokes. Like the stephenson’s rocket. But idk if he’s referring to an old steam engine and or a today in age Diesel engine. Where newer trains have solid metal wheels.

Sorry to bud in, but my Thomas and friends ocd was kicking in, lol.

3 Likes

haha that’s fair. I admit to not know enough about trains, I assumed only the earliest trains had wheels with spokes

2 Likes

Hey Baron,

which style would you suggest more - one having a dark outline on surfaces, or without?

I’m currently doing one without, which I’ve seen before, but do you think it’d be the way to go with a project in Flowlab? My main reference is Nyctophobia, but I had noticed the player object in Stop the Rewind has an outline. Is this suggested, or only in certain circumstances?

I’ve noticed that flowlab likes to make the pixels look small and skinny, so unless that’s what you want it to look like, I’d suggest using outlines, at least on entities that the player wants to focus their attention on. if you don’t want to add outlines, you can make your pixels big and chunky, by zooming in, I’d assume. that mitigates the need for outlines. other than that, it’s a stylistic choice. up to you to judge how you prefer your game to look.

2 Likes

Hey, @Baron_Wasteland, do you know why analogous color schemes work so well in games?

He’ll get back to you when he’s done gaming.

2 Likes

regarding color theory, there are a lot of different patterns on the color wheel that can work, analogous color schemes are only one kind. I don’t know if analogous color palettes work well in games in particular, tho. it’s all just how different kinds of colors react in our brains. like music progressions. something about how the notes come after one another that does a happy thing in the brain. that’s science that I don’t know enough about.
as a conclusion, I guess, analogous color schemes work well cause pretty colors that compliment each other go brrrrrrrr
(also yes, @Agent_Y is right, I was gaming super mega hard af)

4 Likes

You did make a really cool gun not gonna lie

1 Like

Nice, lol.

Now that I think about it though, i do have a piece of art that I would like you to critique:

Morgue (3)

I know it’s small and kinda hard to see, but I’m hoping you can still tell what it is.

2 Likes

put it in pixilart and download it as a larger size

1 Like

Thank you for the advice, but I purposefully made the object small to practice with shading an object.

1 Like

I know, I meant for people here to see it better.

You can upscale a piece of pixel art without changing the actual pixels

1 Like

not bad! looks like some form of classical architecture, possibly a mausoleum. the colors look nice, and while I can’t comment on the details of the pixel art (you might want to scale the image up so I can have a closer look at it), it looks pretty nice! good job overall, but I can probably critique it better if you scale it up

3 Likes

I’m not sure if this topic is dead but, does this look decent?

Character for game thingie :upside_down_face:

5 Likes

What is that thing supposed to be?

I believe it’s a raw chicken.

1 Like

The game’s called Winner Winner. What do you think it is?
What, do you think a game named after a saying about eating chicken is going to have you walking around as a tooth? It’s flesh colored!
Have you EVER seen a Minecraft raw chicken?

2 Likes