In The Dark: Karma's Prisoner (Metroidvania Devlog)

As a former employee of Playtime World, you are sent to the Karma’s prison after death instead of Hell or Heaven. The angels who were to judge you had made a misunderstanding and thought you were apart of the tragedies that happened within the building of Playtime World. Karma is a creature that is only as evil to you as much as he was told how evil you were during your lifespan. Due to what he heard from the angels breaking any rules would be life-risking. Especially attempting to escape. But unfortunately to prove you did no evil you must escape and advise the angels so you can be sent to your rightful place in Heaven.

PLAYTIME WORLD HAS RETURNED IN THE FORM OF A METROIDVANIA! The employee still has an unknown name because I have an uncreative mind and can only name my characters names I search up on the internet. I hope you guys enjoy this devlog. (Especially you, @DWGAMEMASTER!)

This is the original post. This was kept to show what this game was to begin with.

INFECTIOUS OUTRAGE!

DESTROY THE HUMAN RACE!

Zombro is fed up with the human race disrespecting zombies and stuff, help him break into the best human town with the most humans in it to destroy humanity itself. The human town has pieces of a power orb that could give Zombro different abilities to find the other orb pieces hidden around town. Once you collect all the orb pieces you are granted infinite power.

This is a devlog to my top-down Metroidvania, Infectious Anger (Not final name).
The orb pieces help unlock abilities but you also unlock guns along the way too.
The game is in starting development and the only thing there is Zombro, and the gate to a non-existent human town that doesn’t have a name yet. There are humans and they have HP but they’re nowhere to be seen at the moment.

THE LEVEL THAT INCLUDED ZOMBRO AND THE HUMANS STILL EXISTS! IF YOU’D LIKE TO SEE IT, ENTER THE EDITOR ONCE I SEND THE LINK TO THE GAME!

4 Likes

Daaaaaaang sooooooon.

2 Likes

2 Likes

I might turn this into a platformer, because I feel like building platformer worlds are more fun than building top-down worlds, plus I feel the game would be better as a platformer.

1 Like

I don’t think I’ve done this but I’m actually going to change the backstory of this game. It’s still gonna be a metroidvania but I’m actually thinking of something else instead of zombies and stuff. The original level with the top-down gameplay and Zombro and the humans will still exist but just won’t be used.

2 Likes

I am going to use this game is revive…

IN THE DARK: PLAYTIME WORLD!

It’s been literally since 2020 that this game idea was created and I’m ready to continue the In The Dark series. hooray!

2 Likes

i read rthis post and this song starts playing in the back of my head

as much as i love this idea i think you should continue in the dark playtime world, the original playtime worlds art was janky, but it was charming and atmosperic like im scared, instead of rebranding, i say you should embrace tradition and return to in the darks roots, ya know?

1 Like

True but it was very buggy, if you check in the description of the og playtime world, it says it was cancelled since it had too many bugs too fix .

Don’t worry though there’s probably gonna be some art reused in this game. I really want it to have the same feel as the og playtime world so I’m going to try to do that.

1 Like

Wow I just love having to go through the pain and torture of animating a walk cycle.

1 Like

I’m having trouble adding coyote time, I have no idea what to do.

1 Like

This example of PixelPizza’s includes coyote time

1 Like

Thank you! Coyote time honestly was pretty easy to add, I did everything right except for one thing. So now coyote time is in the game! Hooray!

1 Like

You’re welcome!
Yippee Happy GIF - Yippee Happy Celebration GIFs

1 Like

i love playtime world

2 Likes

Link to the game. In the level you start in is unfinished but it is the main world. Right now I think the basic walking and jumping controls are fine…

BUT THE ANIMATIONS AREN’T.
Just go check it out I guess. I honestly think the Jumping animation is fine as it is but obviously that isn’t the final animation. The running animation looks horrible so I’m changing that sooner or later.

1 Like

This is the world at the moment. Everything you see as of right now will be part of the tutorial area of the game.

2 Likes

Fat 'mogus :drooling_face:

Yeah that’s what Adam said lol

2 Likes

I have come to the decision that there will be swear words in the game, but not the major ones like the (F-Bomb :bomb:) and words including the (F-Bomb :bomb:). :scream:
But the game won’t have dialogue made of the swears. It will only appear at certain points of meeting specific characters such as someone known as Dexter Cade Major (AKA Dexter C. Major) who was one of the main musicians who worked on the music that would be heard while in the building of Playtime World. He has a feeling he did not do anything to deserve to be put in Karma’s Prison and has a theory he was framed. He only swears if he mentions any of the people who he think framed him.

Overall, there won’t be much swearing. They’ll just pop up rarely. Maybe like 4-7 times and there won’t be any swears in the same sentence.
(Sorry people who don’t do swears. I’ll try to include the 4-7 of them in dialogues that aren’t shown in the main game. Basically you’ll only see the BAD words while talking to characters that you don’t need to speak to.)

2 Likes

Continuing on Dexter C. Major I’d like to show further information on this character in lore and in the game.
Dexter is a character you meet in Karma’s Prison trying to find a way out just like you. If you ever do meet him you’ll only be able to talk to him and how he thinks he was framed and doesn’t deserve to be in Karma’s Prison. If you unlock the Double Jump and the Bullet Ability then Dexter will ask how you were able to do those things. If you are willing to explain it to him then it will activate the quest to get Dexter 3 shards that he thinks could be put together to give him an ability. Once you give him the shards, he puts them together forming a strange dark orb in which he interacts with and vanishes with the only thing left is his tophat.

Man I just love explaining things that are gonna be in the game but aren’t yet.

1 Like