Indie Feature Poll - please read and vote if you're an Indie 🗳️

This is unusual - I usually don’t post detailed descriptions of incomplete features, but I wanted to get some feedback since this is a change that will affect everyone’s existing games.

I’m working on a new (indie only) engine feature - the ability to have a customized loading screen displayed while the game loads, with your own logo and/or colors specific to your game. Free games will get this same loading screen, just without access to the editing features.

This screen is going away:

I’m replacing it with this:

Where the logo image, bg color, and bar color can be customized (if you have an indie upgrade)

What I need to know is -

How do you feel about your games’ loading screen being updated with the logo this way?

• This is fine, I have no problem with this change
  • It will be inconvenient to go remove the new logo from all my old games

0 voters

If you have other thoughts, please leave them in the thread.

Thanks!

11 Likes

I’d keep the current one, but add an option for indies to use a custom one.

5 Likes

To be clear, the current loading screen is going away. It’s getting replaced by a customizable one, so unfortunately just keeping it isn’t an option.

If people don’t like the Flowlab logo suddenly showing up, I can try to find a better replacement image instead. Maybe something simpler/more abstract that looks less like a logo?

3 Likes

The only reason I suggested the current one staying is because it would be a pain for me to have to change all my screens, though now that I think of it, that is fine. But, for the new one, I’d recommend animations being possible on it. (maybe some presets)

3 Likes

That means I’ll have to come up with a new loading screen gag for this game :smiley: :

8 Likes

I don’t really see a problem of having the logo on older games.
Removing them is optional and the default is better than the loading screen we have now.

I’m all for it, it’ll be cool to set icons or game cover art as the loading screen of games.

12 Likes

oh crap, that sucks :frowning:

4 Likes

Earf Sammich is on the back of the back burners, so I’m not too concerned. No biggie :smiley:

2 Likes

That would be nice, but none of the animation infrastructure (behaviors, objects, etc) are loaded at that point, so for now it’s literally just an image that displays while the game assets are loading.

Maybe you meant something else though? Please elaborate if I’m misunderstanding you.

4 Likes

well, it’s still a funny intro - I’ll be sad to ruin it.

2 Likes

You could just paste that into the custom one when it’s added, since you have indie.

3 Likes

What if you could upload a GIF as the logo?

2 Likes

What if you could upload a GIF as the logo?

That’s a possibility, but animated gifs tend to be large files. We could pretty easily get to a point where the gif “loading animation” takes longer to load than the actual game :slight_smile:

5 Likes

Here’s an alternate option for the default Indie loading screen:

Does this seem like an improvement?

• Better
  • Worse
  • About the same

0 voters

4 Likes

yeah, i was thinking about that too! :joy:

1 Like

I like the look but it’s a bit too small, maybe make it 33% bigger and make even people without indie able to just change the color of the logo?

1 Like

When is this feature coming out?

This is cool.

I don’t want to be biased, but I feel like the alternative feels pretty dull visually.

5 Likes