Maze Hunt! ("Expansion" Expansion Pack)

So, it’s looking like it might be the Dark and Stormy Night update, then? I asked some people irl as well and they also voted for Dark and Stormy Night, so it seems like that’s gonna be the winner. So now the question is, would you like to know what each update possibility was and what Dark and Stormy Night is, or do you want it to just be a surprise?

Pings:
@DraftyScienceCoat75 (thank you for voting :slight_smile: )

1 Like

surprise!

1 Like

Ok, awesome! I have no idea exactly how long it’s going to take to get this done, but hopefully I can have it done relatively soon! I just hope I’m able to do a good job, lol

1 Like

So, I’ve just realized that this update is far more entailed than I had originally expected. I’ve figured out most of how I’m going to do it, and I’ve gotten about halfway through, but I just realized that to fully implement this update, I’m either going to need to update a lot of other (completely different and only slightly related) things first and then finish this update, OR I can finish this update to the best of my ability and then go back and change things later once I have implemented all of the other essential features. Which do you think I should do, @DraftyScienceCoat75?

1 Like

I think you should finish everything for the update, that way you won’t have to remember what you need to change lol

2 Likes

Ahh, yeah, that makes sense, lol. Thank you!

2 Likes

Will this game have lore?

3 Likes

Yes, it will! Idk how in-depth the lore will be, but it will be there

3 Likes

Pog

2 Likes

Status Update:

This statement could not have been more false, lol.

Ok, I have not abandoned this game. Sorry, it’s been so long since I’ve had an update, but this update turned out to be a bit more complex and entailed than I had originally anticipated, and then I became super busy with school and had a ton of assignments to do. But now I’m back, and I’ve been working on the new update a bit and I can say for certain this time that it’s just about done and I should be able to release it this week. So, yeah, that’s what I’ve been up to. I’ve also come up with many new ideas for future updates (idk how long it will take me to implement them though). Many exciting things still to come from this game! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

'Twas a Dark and Stormy Night Update

It’s finally here, folks. After only working on it for just under a month, I can finally present to you, the “'Twas a Dark and Stormy Night” update, AKA the Thematic update.
This update features:

• An actual storyline, with dialogue and an ending (this is not final and will be changed in the future)
  • Fully automated cutscenes
  • Some new art, to make things look pretty
  • Background music (it’s no longer a silent film)
  • An animation for the enemy that shows when he has spotted you and when he has lost you
  • You can now press space to wait a turn (which makes the game a little bit easier)

I’ve never actually made a story for a game before, so this was a fun learning experience for me. I also didn’t know how to do a cutscene or even how to make dialogue, so I used @CodeAlpaca’s game, Blandus, as an example for how to make the text, and I think it turned out pretty good.

Pings

@DraftyScienceCoat75
@John_Shrekinson (here’s your lore, but don’t worry, I have plans to make it even deeper)

4 Likes

I love it! the game is looking really good.
Too bad I can’t get past floor 4 lol, I’m too impatient to be careful

3 Likes

Yay, I’m glad you like it. As for the difficulty, I’m not entirely sure how to make it easier. Perhaps I should add a longer delay between moves? Or perhaps an “easy mode” which gives you a checkpoint at each level so you don’t have to restart each time?

2 Likes

Nah bruh stick with the Dark Souls philosophy.

2 Likes

I think like a checkpoint at every 5 levels would be nice, maybe the sprites can. Change then too

2 Likes

Boom, got the checkpoint working on every 5th level, but only if you choose “easy mode” in the menu (currently only gives a checkpoint on level 5, because the game only goes to level 6 at this point). Now you can also skip the opening cutscene by pressing enter (love the cutscene, but it made playtesting too difficult, lol)

This implies that I have alternative sprites… :rofl:
Guess that’s something I’ll work on in the future, lol

Also, I would do this, but very few people actually play my game, so I would like the people that do play it to be able to finish it (otherwise they may decide they don’t like my game because it’s too hard, and then I’m back to the problem of having no players :frowning: )

2 Likes

Playerbase preservation

2 Likes

I found a bug in the cutscene, if you spam space at this part then the player will move super fast right

1 Like

Wasn’t 'tis already a thing?

1 Like

Oh yikes! Thank you for catching that! Turns out, I forgot to send the output of the switch that regulated the skip into the off input, so you could press space however much you wanted and it would never stop you. It should be fixed now :slight_smile:

1 Like