Minimalistic Mini Competition?

Considering the time zone differences and that the (EST)? was not confirmed I think it should be allowed :slight_smile:
I always forget that I’m way ahead of you all and live in your future grin
… anyone else approaching the finishing line ?

I add it to the list

` ~~~~~ THE RACE IS OVER ~~~~~ `

And the entries are (UPDATED):
  • @"my_name (<_>)" with 'SNAKES!' http://flowlab.io/game/play/1402638
  • @TinkerSmith with 'LCD Juggler' https://flowlab.io/game/play/1402154
  • @todorrobot with 'MINIMALL MAYHEM' https://flowlab.io/game/play/1406711
  • @"JR 01" with '1' http://flowlab.io/game/play/1405051

Thank you so much for participating :slight_smile:
By the look of it we have 2 winners (don’t count me in) and it is really hard to pick the overall one.
Both are minimal in their own way and hit the theme on the spot.

So Peeps, comments please :slight_smile:

@“JR 01” LOL … 1 … love it too :slight_smile:

@rcreger And regarding the Juggler Images, I took screenshots from the actual LCD game and pixeled them up. I was tempted to clean the juggler up, but somehow the blurry outline also appealed to me.

I like all four of them:

• "MINIMALL MAYHEM" is hilarious and awesome - I could tell instantly that this is a @todorrobot game
  • I can't believe that "1" is only one object :)
  • Snakes is a classic
  • LCD Juggler is strangely nostalgic, and harder than it looks

I know that’s not helpful, but I just wanted to chime in and say that the games turned out great.

Thanks, its a proof of concept that you can make a game using only 1 object.
The game is a bit big, but I went for going with 1 object, 1 tone of color, simplicity,
and the rest of the criteria.

Edit: I was thinking 10x10 playing field as the game / camera size,
not sure if that’s actually what y’all meant now that I’m looking at the other participants.

These are all pretty great! Congrats everyone!

WOW, just wasted my lunch break playing all of them, so much fun :slight_smile:
Will have another look tonight, great job guys. I also like how most of you laid out their flows, especially when it’s nicely bundled up and easy to follow. Should be a great source of inspiration for our new members, GO AND HAVE A LOOK PEEPS :slight_smile:

@rcreger, I wasn’t able to get my game in before you reviewed them all.
What do you think of 1?

@“JR 01” I was meaning too, just got busy at work :weary:

Alright, so @“JR 01” 's “1” the title really speaks about how far a game can go with limited resources. It’s surprising, as it’s very well developed with things that feel and seem like they’re all different objects!! It’s truly amazing what was done with it and how there was even a functional game at all. I beat the game, and how it had actual separate level sections, objectives, enemies, etc… Was not expecting that. In my opinion, this wins as being the most minimalist with just a single object. All the games were fantastic and probably beyond what I could do with the limit, but “1” is the true minimalist.

Honestly, it was just that amazing on the technical side if it. The graphics gave a simplistic feeling as well and I liked the color scheme. I give this a big MINI out of 10:)

I could also say the opposite for how large the game is lol, I’m very extreme.
I think we all did pretty well on portraying a game with the idea of minimalistic.

If we weren’t voting for ourselves, I would vote for @todorrobot’s “MINIMALL MAYHEM”.
That was pretty good with the enjoyable gameplay and graphics.

Yeah, it’s a real struggle, every game is great on its own. And with all the different approaches its hard to compare.
Anyway, had a hard day, just made it home and will drop dead into bed. Will come up with something tomorrow and hope in the meantime we get some more feedback from other members of the forum.

P.S anyone keen to repeat this monthly or bimonthly in an easy go, no pressure way?
I have some ideas how to organize it better next time evil grin
Details will follow if there is sufficient interest

Im always down for a jam! I love a tight deadline and lots of stipulations to consider. And its typically the only way I can finish game. Haha!

I say the title should go to @“JR 01” for excellent use of the theme and a brilliant concept well-executed. My game and the others were minimal, but standard (I struggled to get my objects down to 10, but I learned a lot from the challenge), but 1 is next level. Kudos JR!

@“JR 01” When I saw the object called “Everything” I almost faineted. The Evolution:

Puts on the Game: “Yeah, this is simple”

Reads the description: “1 Object? He must have used more than one in a clever way…”

Plays Game: “Nice, simple, a little laggy (I LATER SAW WHY)”.

Sees Wizard: “Okay, that is obviously more than one object!”

Sees “Everything” Block: Screenshot 2020-05-01 at 20.50.17

Sees The Code for “Everything” Block: ofx84

Thanks @“The Kodex”, I explain more why I did it like that on my own post here:
http://forum.flowlab.io/discussion/8664/a-game-made-with-only-1-object

Ufff, I slept in, LOL. Gonna have a look now.
I would have expected a few more comments, especially from all our ‘Reviewers’ but looks like we frightened them all away MUAHAHA.

Next time you do a competition @TinkerSmith , Count me in. >:-)

@“The Kodex” I did the same thing.

looks at @“JR 01” s nodes and bundles… inside bundles… inside bundles

looks at my sprawling hellscape of nodes and wires dies inside

I did TRY to bundle some things up in this and my other most recent game, but I lost management halfway through. Next time for sure!

hehe @todorrobot it goes down to 6 layers at most.
http://forum.flowlab.io/discussion/8664/a-game-made-with-only-1-object#latest

`WINNER ANNOUNCEMENT`

By the power vested in me I officially announce The winners of the 'MINIMALISTIC MINI COMPETITION'

~ Winner List ~ ~ Award Badge ~
No1 JR 01 1 Object
No2 todorrobot Defender
No3 my_name(<_>) Snake
Thank you all for the participation, I was surprised by every single entry. It shows the creativity in this community, you make me proud *single fake tear*

As for why I picked them in this order:

• ’ 1 ’ by @“JR 01”, … who can argue with this. ONE FREAKING OBJECT, come one, LOL
  • ’ MINIMALL MAYHEM ’ by @todorrobot , I get the pun, LOL. Beside that it is nearly a complete game and dang, congratulations on those mini peeps, they made me smile. Also good job on the program layout
  • ’ SNAKES! ’ by @“my_name (<_>)” Beautiful, love the simplicity of it and it shows beginners that less can be more. Great Job :slight_smile:

P.S. not much I could give (maybe @grazer kicks in grin) but I hope you like your Award Badges :slight_smile: