Official Summer ☀️ Flowjam 2021 Discussion

Hey, it’s that time of year again :smiley:

Things have changed a little bit for this Flowjam!

Official Page: Flowlab Game Creator - FlowJam 2021

WHAT’S A FLOWJAM?

Flowjam is a competition where everyone gets a limited time (two weeks) to create a complete game from start to finish, based around a single theme.

This year the summer Flowjam will begin on July 12th, 2021 , and submissions will close on July 26th, 2021 at Midnight.

Come join the Flowjam Discord Channel or the Summer Flowjam 2021 Forum thread to discuss ideas, encourage each other, ask questions, or whatever else.

WHAT’S THE THEME?

The theme will be announced on July 11th, 2021 - a few minutes before the game jam begins at Midnight.

WHAT CAN I WIN?

1. The winning game developer will receive their choice of either an iPad or Galaxy tablet.
  2. The winning game will be featured on the Flowlab home page
  3. The winning game will be exported & submitted to the Apple App Store
  4. The winning game will be exported & submitted to the Google Play App Store

WHY SHOULD I PARTICIPATE?

Making games is fun! Also, this is a chance to challenge yourself to try new ideas, improve your skills, possibly win a new mobile device, and get your creation published to the top mobile app stores.

WHO CAN ENTER?

Anyone, from anywhere. Feel free to collaborate and help each other, but only one prize will be awarded. Entrants outside the U.S. will be responsible for any Customs or other fees incurred.

THE RULES

1. Your game can include any art or music you have legal permission to use, but anything not created by you during the jam should be listed in the game’s description.
  2. Don’t create your game until the contest starts - on July 12, 2021 - the game creation time is listed under each game.
  3. Submissions will be closed on July 26, 2021 at midnight EST
  4. Although all entrants can vote on the game submissions , Grazer will have the final say on the official winner.
  5. Only games created using Flowlab can be submitted
  6. No purchase necessary - free accounts are welcome and encouraged to submit games!

JUDGING CRITERIA

• Theme How well the game adhered to and used the theme
  • Fun How fun the game is to play
  • Art How does the game look and sound
  • Creativity How unique are the graphics, the mechanics, and the overall design
20 Likes

The game jam will commence soon.

1 Like

Can’t wait to check this one out!

2 Likes

Yay, maybe I’ll actually participate this time!

3 Likes

Hmm… while I had kind of decided I didn’t want to participate in any more jams / short term contests with set themes and such, my girlfriend could probably use a tablet since her laptop is on the fritz…

I know, I’m not likely to win, but I have a lot of ideas cooking… if one of them fits the theme and I think I can make it in two weeks, I might give it a shot.

5 Likes

That’s really interesting how the winner will have their game exported! Really makes me want to focus on polish.

Very excited to see what creative games come from this year’s Summer Flojam!

4 Likes

nice! can’t wait to participate in this one. and those changes are really interesting, the winner being able to get a device that can play their game and all that.

2 Likes

Winners can get an export to android and apple app store. So making the game mobile friendly is suggested @grazer?

7 Likes

I’m down for that. Maybe grazer can add a function that allows for more than one tap/drag input at a time before the jam starts, though.

1 Like

Multi touch should be possible if I remember correctly, that’s how star blast finale has touch controls.

4 Likes

Wow, it’s this time of year already?! You can count me in!

3 Likes

I actually might participate for the first time, although this is the first time that I’ve seen a summer flow jam :upside_down_face:

3 Likes

sad mobile noises

6 Likes

buy a keyboard and mouse, they aren’t too expensive.

They work for flowlab on mobile, I use my iPad to make games a ton with my keyboard and mouse.

3 Likes

I think he just has a phone.
But yeah I made games using my schools iPad for the longest time since it had a keyboard. Although it didn’t have a mouse, but it still worked great for me.

2 Likes

That works with IOS, not Android. The screen is always wonky and the input/output hitboxes are not where it looks like they are.

2 Likes

It’s unfortunate, because now that I have experience and am older, I might make a decent game now lol.

2 Likes

Then again…
Tgw…
Greggo…
Winner - er, JR
Todorrobot…

I wouldn’t win anyways lol.

5 Likes

As great as exporting our game sounds… I’m more interested in the bonus themes!!!

1 Like