Official Summer ☀️ Flowjam 2021 Discussion

Hey @TGW, and everyone else that is confused about the mobile theme. I was trying to make the theme simple, and in the process apparently didn’t make things as clear is they could be. To clarify the main theme a little:

Tap or Swipe really just means you can’t use the keyboard for your controls.

• Mouse Clicks are converted to Taps
  • If you use a Mouse to control your game, it will work
  • You don’t have to own a mobile device, or test your game on a mobile device
  • You don’t need to export your game for a mobile device

The most important part of making a “Mobile Compatible” game is choosing a working control scheme (in this case, using mouse clicks). Pretty much anything else can be sorted out before it gets exported if you win and want to put it on the app store.

6 Likes

Would you be docked points if you make a game using keyboard controls, but on mobile you have to swipe and tap.

Cause I already had a pretty cool idea, but for mobile you have to swipe and stuff, similar to the theme, but on computer it would be a little difficult so there might have to be key Binds so that way everyone is allowed to play, but would it still work if it’s mainly for mobile?

3 Likes

I think key binds are fine, since swiping is a bit wonky with a mouse.

5 Likes

I actually gave it a bit of thought, and I came up with a rather absurd concept that could be easily done with just mouse clicks / screen taps. It’s not super complex for the user, but it’s going to be a challenge for me to create, as I haven’t attempted anything like this before…

The coding is going to be the hardest part for me. But if I can figure out how to make it work, it might actually be worthy of at least an “honorable mention”. :grin:

Should also fulfill all 3 bonus themes also. If I can make it work. And that’s a huge if.

ADDITIONAL: Also huge “if”… in case I do happen to win, or just decide to export to mobile on my own… I assume I’ll have to connect a PayPal account or something in order to sell it, right?

2 Likes

I have a fun idea for the theme. Can’t wait to see what y’all create :upside_down_face:

1 Like

You have a few options here:

• Selling the game directly
  • Inserting AdMob interstitial ads
  • Inserting AdMob banners
  • You can make the game completely free if you want

We can discuss how best to structure the payout when set up the export, but scheduled PayPal payments are probably the most likely route.

2 Likes

Is it ok if we secretly put in keyboard controls for PC players but the main controls are tap/click and swipe/mouse move?

2 Likes

Yes, that’s no problem :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Is there a “throw” example out there anywhere? Click with mouse — object follows mouse position — Release mouse — object inherits directional momentum from mouse speed and angle (TAN) and continues in that direction on its own?

3 Likes

@todorrobot - here’s an example I just put together. It’s not all that simple, but I think it does what you are asking. If it’s not exactly what you want, you can probably tweak it as needed:

1.It stores the mouse down and mouse up position
2. It uses the difference to calculate and set rotation angle
3. It uses the distance in pixels and duration of the swipe to calculate the velocity

7 Likes

@grazer Oooh! Awesome. I’m sure I can take it from there. Thanks!!

I’ll be entering this time.

5 Likes

The great CMG! Can’t wait to see what you whip up, been a while since I played one of your games

1 Like

I’m so glad the theme is tap or swipe, cause swipe doesn’t seem to be working out too well for me so I might just have to use tap just for the game.
I tried using your example, but it was still kinda buggy, not only does it take a few tries to use, but my character is unable to jump when I has swipe. Not sure if it was buggy from the start or I kinda ruined it by trying to modify it for my game, but I honestly can’t get swiping to work.

1 Like

I think I’ll be entering also!

2 Likes

Anyone know the screen dimensions that we should have for mobile?

1 Like

I’m using 20 X 10 and it seems to fit my phone pretty good. If the height is any longer than 10 then it just runs off of the bottom screen.

That’s if you are doing a landscape view for a phone.

1 Like

Uh oh… I forgot to factor in for phone screen size…

I’m guessing 24x18 isn’t going to work right on mobile?

I can probably reduce the width a bit, but if I reduce the height too much, it will dramatically change the gameplay…

1 Like

The height has to be at least 10 for a landscape view of the phone or else everything hangs off. But if you reduce the width to maybe 8 or something for portrait view and it might work, but that’s a huge jump and I’m afraid you might end up having to change the entire screen size.

1 Like

Also I do have a phone so if anyone wants to know if their game can fit on the phone screen just pm me the link so I can check it out and let you know. I still don’t know the specific dimensions, but I know that 20 x 10 for landscape seems to be ideal, but I don’t know for portrait, maybe 10 x 20, lol.

1 Like