🎼 Parse-O-Rhythm - Update B!

Parse-O-Rhythm? What???

It was a regular day at the offices of EnryoSoft, when a disaster occured. A junior software engineer decided to upload some code without looking at the documentation! As an unintended consequence (hehe), many of the files are now full of bugs and errors.

As the Parse-O-Rhythm AI, you’ve been sent directly into the company’s program to fix its errors. Parse and slash away errors to the rythm of a song, using your mouse or touchpad to move the AI across the field. Good luck, and have fun!!

Making this thing.

Parse-O-Rhythm is a rhythm game that @logan_K1 and I worked on for the two week duration of the Winter Flowjam 2024.

The development of this game was a bit erratic - I tried a more laid back approach, then realized I didn’t have much time left, then made the game at MACH SPEEEEEEED for the final few days.

Creating this involved asking really low-level (at the heart of how it works) questions about the engine, making my own FILE FORMAT, and running it through a few people to make sure it functioned well. I also uh, might have played it a hair too loud at a social club without realizing. In my defense we were too engrossed in the game to have situational awareness lol.

The game!

I really enjoyed making this, and I hope you find the same enjoyment I did in making it, really!!

Also, if people enjoy this game, we are planning on continuing work on the game and creating a paid version with songs from various artists.

Let us know what you think!! :heart:

12 Likes

Edited this page, it now is no longer under construction! yay!!

3 Likes

This is my favorite flowjam game so far (albeit I’ve only played 3)

3 Likes

steam release i would buy it immediately :smile:

3 Likes

I am not good at rhythm games :sweat_smile:

but this is still super fun

3 Likes

This reminds me of beat-saber, I LOVE IT!!! Ok, I have headphones on and I’m ready to re-try level 2. I absolutely love this game.

I could play this for hours on end!

4 Likes

I had some trouble making it because I was too busy “playtesting”, lol :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I’m not going to have any time to play the other games if I don’t stop now, lol!

4 Likes

First level, S rank!

5 Likes

tryna A-rank macrocosm

by the way, if you continue on this project, try making a few more fun, visual edits such as background changes, and if there will be a paid version, maybe even new mechanics? Imagine bosses fr! (okay maybe that’s a tiny bit too much, but a fun concept like this can be worked upon and turn out to become a popular game)

5 Likes

I thought it was impossible to have S on the first level since the Tutorial forces you to miss?
Maybe it just takes a while and I thought I had to miss for it to proceed dunno

4 Likes

No, you can just hit the note as normal lol

4 Likes

my progress reset and I had an S rank on the tutorial

Edit: I beat the level on S rank again… the game is broken it wont let me progress
okay… now it lets me keep the progress
but uhh

4 Likes

New backgrounds do sound like a fun idea :slight_smile: . The weird thing is that a flowlab audio update is nearing somewhat, and I’m unsure what that means for the game, but there are a lot of neat mechanics I want to add to the game after that update. It’s a rhythm game, so I can’t imagine what a boss would be like other than a big guy that floats around the screen while notes drop lol.

5 Likes

I think saves are lost if you clear your cache. Aside from that though, I get just as annoyed at the instability of saves as you do lol. I wish there was some other method /:

3 Likes

erm, a guy that shoots notes at you as well as projectiles for you to dodge

91% in 53-bit, on my way to an A-rank! (I already A ranked macrocosm and S-ranked the tutorial :sunglasses: )

Edit: 93.24, getting close

Edit: finally did it, time for macrocosm S-rank
btw, nerf halcyon, the difficulty is wayy too off scale

5 Likes

that’s why the level is labelled “dangerous”! I wanted an easy level (the tutorial), two medium levels and a hard level. There are actually people out there that call halcyon medium difficulty if you can believe it lol. Skill ceilings for rhythm games are really high.

Best of luck S ranking one of the mediums!! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

macrocosm S-rank!
(that took a while)

sadly I’m not getting anything higher than a c-rank in halcyon

6 Likes

Wow, you’ve got some talent! I haven’t gotten an S on any other than the tutorial, lol.

3 Likes