Plymouth Entertainment - SOL [GHOST GUNNER - OUT NOW!]

Just added even more particles to jumping and wall jumping… Someone, please stop me

there’s never too may particles, as long as there’s a way to turn them off to prevent PC explosions.

1 Like

Good thing that’s what I’m doing:)

1 Like

NEW EXCLUSIVE SOL ART TO RELEASE TOMORROW!

The next Sol art reveal, exclusive to the Flowlab forums, will release tomorrow, November 29th! This will show another scene for Sol that will be applied as a cutscene for the story! Be sure to tune in tomorrow to not miss it!

Keep an eye out! Expect the piece to release before 5 o’clock in the afternoon, EDT tomorrow!

Extra note: I’ll be starting a weekly posting session, called “Thoughtful Sol Sundays”. This is to provide more insights of the game development further than what you are seeing here. As it is stated in the title, these posts come out on every Sunday. So the first TSS is… Tomorrow as well! You guys have a lot to look forward too! See you then!!!

8 Likes

Cutscenes hurt to make xd

1 Like

They sure do XD I’ve estimated about 30-40 cutscenes for Sol, actually :grimacing: not including the “paired” ones with minor differences.

2 Likes

THOUTFUL SOL SUNDAY - #001

Hello! If you’re reading this, then thank you for checking into the first TSS on the thread! The first one here is going to be more of an introduction to what I’m doing with these. You see, game development is usually closed behind tight doors. This is going to be used for me to reach out to you guys better in my game development, but not just with Sol, but also my previous game projects on the rcreger account.

Plymouth Entertainment actually doesn’t cover all of the rcreger games - only two of them. A Boy in Armor and A-Box are both included under the brand name, whereas A Little Evil is standalone. This is due because it doesn’t follow the criteria, which is:

• Does it have a meaningful story?
  • Is its focus on the arts, enough to balance with the gameplay?
  • Is the game original? Is it our own idea?
  • Does the game use our own artwork (no default)?
  • Is there a moral behind the story?

If it misses out on one of these (A Little Evil missed out on pretty much all of them), then it’s not under the brand. And yes, all of the Plymouth games have a moral. For A Boy in Armor, it was “failure is not always sadness”, A-Box was “don’t let people force you to be what they want”. Finally, Sol is going to have the moral of “don’t let your dreams die”.

With this said - I may actually make a few more games outside of the Plymouth brand. Just for fun sort of games. I’d especially do this once I get my hands on Indie and when Sol is released.

Thank you if you read this far! Now you know a little bit more about our aims for the games that were made, and that are being made! Just know we are super happy and blessed to have such a great community so far! Remember: new Sol art cutscene is going to be released a little later today… Make sure not to miss it!

6 Likes

Dang- I’ve been working on 1 cutscene and am ded!
It took 5 days and i’m not even finished…

2 Likes

So my estimate that the game will be open in 2028
Is probably true.

1 Like

NEW EXCLUSIVE SOL ART RELEASE

"Smoke. Fading, in the wind,
Vibrant in its darkness, twisting like foul air.
The choking of its fumes, hath sinned;
But it’s burning keeps our fortune, 'tis fair.

Winding through the paths the sky has given,
The smoke travels further and further.
Throughout all of the lives it had smitten,
One does not claim them as ‘murder’.

But, instead, the people below praise,
Bowing their heads to the metal gods they made.
Standing high, no lower over a hundred days,
Their bodies worn, yet made of hate."

Poem of the Metal Gods by Sir Walter Smith

Sol close up in Mind Clock-2

Sol, the sun. High in the sky. Now sings its song, though the end is nigh.
Terra, the earth below, now dust, heard this noise. Doubting the suns power then, trembles now, behold the sun’s power.

– Excerpt from Behold the Prophecy by Howard Munche

8 Likes

Thank you guys for yet another epic Sol art release! Like I’ve always thought, the Flowlab community is among the best! So, because of this, I will release a new Sol song piece - meant for the ending credits of the game. It’s a lengthier one compared to the others, but it’s to evoke more emotion due to the ending of the game, and also pay respects for all of the people who have contributed to the game one way or another - including you!

NEW SOL MUSIC RELEASE - NOT FOR FREE USE

“Finis” (Plymouth Exclusive; Credits; Melancholy; Theme)

song is not for free use
Thank you all for your support!

8 Likes

Alright, (I know that this is probably off topic, but I’d figure that it needed to be announced) I’m back from thanksgiving break and some of you guys may have noticed that I’ve kept favoriting some of your comments, I did keep up to date, but I only posted like once or twice since I was busy, so I’m glad to be back.

Also @rcreger I really love the art, I still don’t know how you are this good. I can’t ever make any art bigger than 32 X 32 pixels since it hurts my brain, lol. Also I’ll have to give the music a listen too sometime.

4 Likes

now I really wanna see some enemies (you know me and my enemy design)

2 Likes

@ManiacPumpkin glad to have you back! As of the art, basically the whole Mind Clock redo session was my learning period and how I developed my style for it. Thank you!

@theglitch055 , I’m figuring out enemies right now. Movement is very tricky sometimes, so I’m going to have to put in a little bit more effort in that area. But if I do get art and animation done for the enemies early, I’ll post that still.

6 Likes

Hey @rcreger! Everything is looking great! Sorry for not commenting lately, I’ve been very busy.

4 Likes

You’re good, man! And thank you!

Sorry about DoM, I was too, very busy XD I put in what I could during the run, and if I’m bored I’ll make another sprite here and there. I should be here if production resumes, so if you need anything, let me know!

4 Likes

No problem! I’m not sure when production will start again, but when it does I’ll make sure to let you know.

4 Likes

CALL TO BATTLE - ADDING ENEMY MOVEMENT AI

Got some basic enemy AI finished before I go to work. At the moment, it:

1. Thankfully moves
  2. Only moves when the player is a certain distance from it
  3. Displays a 3-hit health bar above it

I’ll be implementing attacks and jumping (depending on the type of enemy) when I put work into the animations. Going to work on the melee enemy first, which it will then have to have:

1. No attack when there’s a collision with the player, only when the animation plays
  2. Waiting animations
  3. Question mark over head when searching - after the player has been detected once
  4. Death animations for enemy (haven’t gotten to Sol’s death animations yet, since those are also a cutscene)

I’ll keep you guys updated, and enemy animations, designs, concepts, and additions will be posted here! Thanks for checking in!

3 Likes

I wonder what type of enemy they are, are they robots?
or are they some type of creature?

1 Like

They are still machines, yeah - though there size, shape, etc. differ