Potential flowlab GOTY voting event

Hey all,

an idea recently popped into my head: what if we did a “flowlab game of the year 2023” vote? Essentially, all games featured this year would be put into a big poll, and then the results would be narrowed down to a final poll. No financial awards or anything, just bragging rights.

I’m completely swamped this week, but if people are interested in this at all, I’ll put a form together either this upcoming weekend or this upcoming Wednesday. Let me know what you think!

10 Likes

I think this would be quite interesting, but theres barely anyone on the forums.

1 Like

We should totally do this! I’d love to get a perspective on what’s hot on Flowlab

2 Likes

I’m really not on board with collecting people’s emails to prevent cheating on a google form, so I was thinking about using the forums since only logged in users can vote. But it’s open to discussion!

2 Likes

I mean, there are a decent number of people on the forums, and people on the discord could easily vote. If they’re on the discord then they have a Flowlab account, which means they can use the forums fine

3 Likes

sooooo I couldn’t control myself and made a poll lmao. I’ll put together some kind of “official post” either thursday or friday evening starting the first poll if this continues to roll smoothly. I think that voting times that last multiple days are important for an event like this.

4 Likes

how will people vote, is it by most voted game or game ratings?

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure that it’s a poll.

1 Like

I think an upcoming games category would also be cool! Overall, great idea!

3 Likes

there’ll be two rounds of voting - the first is a multiple choice (choose as many as you want) vote of the top 9 games from the last 2 jams, plus any games featured this year (only galacdrive in this case sadly).

After that, a final 6-option vote comprised of the top 6 from the first vote will be another multiple choice vote, and whoever gets the most votes wins.

4 Likes

An idea on top of that: unfinished and finished games are separate categories. may not work though because lots of games are unfinished lol

1 Like

You’ll be putting together a list of the last 110 or so games in the last two FlowJams?!

I think there are a lot of great games that came out but werent featured.
And we dont even know about them

4 Likes

He’s only taking the top 9 games of the previous 2 jams. (+ any other non jam featured games)
I could see this becoming a really fun annual event

3 Likes

Oh definitely, but they didn’t get featured. It’s sort of impossible to scrape the site for games if the developer(s) never really stood up to talk about them imo. The featured category lets things be narrowed down but if you have a better method then by all means present it

4 Likes

Just sharing my opinion
What about Misty Hollow :jack_o_lantern::fire:

4 Likes

Isn’t this for the games released during the last two FlowJams?

2 Likes

Top games in flow jam and any featured.

4 Likes

I still wish grazer featured it after we finished it

6 Likes

Who will be in charge of everything for this event? Since I assume it’s not official (yet)

Can I contribute too in some way? I just had an idea where I either make a presentation video in a sort of Oscars style format, or just be the host and work with whoever else makes the video (or both). I got this idea inspired by the “meme of the year” videos made by grandayyy on YouTube.

if there’s gonna be a video. If I were to make it, I would make it appropriate for all ages so that anyone can be able to watch it [on the forums]. In regards to memes, I’d minimize them, keep them fresh and recognizable, and remove them altogether if asked.

1 Like