Starblast 3- update log

Hey @jngthree, I’ll check this out - I assume it’s Android, right? I’ve spent the last several days focused on prepping for the hurricane (I’m in Florida), but it’s gone now so I can get back to work :slight_smile:

Everything ok @grazer ?

Yeah Grazer you scared me :dissapointed: You said it like you don’t even care

Yeah, we’re fine here - thanks for asking :slight_smile:

It didn’t really even touch us where I’m at. The datacenter in Atlanta had some power outage problems yesterday afternoon though, which you guys may have noticed.

@grazer same here.

Lake city got knocked out of power for a little bit, and most of it still is atm.

Autofire will only shoot at half the rate normal shooting does. I found that it’s overpowered if you sit in the corner with it on. So the lower shooting rate means you still have to dodge enemies

Hmm I’m thinking about rounded borders so you can’t really stay in the borders anymore. But it’s not really efficient in flowlab to make such hitboxes.

There is a way.

Only have one type of boarder, set it to face the very center. That’s all I got though

New update!

I added an expiremental pause button. And a menu to go with it. It’s not much, but I believe it’s never been done on flowlab before. Yay

As of right now it’s only available in classic mode.

@“Mhx Ar”

Any ideas on how to improve?

I’ll try it out tonight, and I’ll leave my feedback.

@“Mhx Ar” thanks

Alright, here’s my feedback.

Pros: Game plays fine, but the low quality graphics was a great idea, because my computer lagged badly from the rainbow bursts. The lack of drifting feels off, but maybe because I’m just used to Asteroids, so that’s not a bad thing. I’m sure everything works as you intended it to, so I can’t say anything bad.

Cons: Why do the walls teleport you back to the middle? If enemies are there, you die. The spam of pewpewpewpewpewpew gets a bit annoying, so while you have a pew up, you should have a pew down, and toggle it, either with a lower pitch pew, or a lower volume pew. Something just to ease the ears. A click to skip the title screen never hurts. The homing shooting in mobile mode is interesting, but doesn’t it remove the challenge of having to aim? Besides that, it all looks and runs fine. Good job.

@“Mhx Ar” I did the teleport back to the middle as a way for players to get out of “I’m cornered” situations, it also can momentarily trick enemies, As well as discourage camping in the corners (that used to, and probably still does, give infinite points)

Clicking in the title will be a must have, and will be done eventually.

I’ll also see about making a SFX setting in the menu

Autofire is there for until I can get the 2nd d-pad working, as attached objects cannot receive messages (@grazer should fix that.)

Wanted to run a new mode by: “Cave-In”

The walls slowly move toward the middle, giving less room to work with

Meh, nevermind.

I’m thinking of making power-ups.

Invincibility- (the ship will flash rainbow colors, and enemies will not do damage when they hit)

Blue shots- blue shots that will strike an enemy, then turn back to the normal yellow, then hit an additional enemy. (Like the last game)

Slower pace- reduces the spawn rate by 5 (even when the speed is at default)

Faster pace- increases the rate by 5 (unless it will go past the max, in which case it will slow it down to 3)

Teleportation- permits the player to teleport out of the way of enemies by pressing “R” for a limited ammount of time- can backfire as the location is random

Split fire- fires forward and backwards at the same time- also stacks with blue shots.

The spawnrate power ups are in the game now!

Edit: extra lives are now in as well- meaning I had to update the lives counter.

I also doubled the intensity factor decrease rate- as well as making power ups less common. However, if you collect fast paced power ups- you actually boost both power up spawnrate AND enemies rate.

IMG_1338

Power ups look like this- except they have a different little symbol representing what they do. What you see here is just the parent’s sprite- A.K.A. The Template

@“Mhx Ar”

I just had an idea that would modify the concept.

When the bug fix for attached object messaging happens, I might make the colored bullets stack.

Yellow bullets are default
Cyan bullets will turn yellow once it hits an enemy.
Blue blue bullets turn cyan when it hits an enemy.

All bullets will disappear if they hit a wall.

Why do you need messages to attachments? Also why are there separate objects for the bullets? Just have them change color with animations, so the bullet receives messages to change between the colors by receiving the numbers 1, 2, or 3 for powerups, 1 being yellow, 2 cyan, 3 blue. Using filters, it picks an animation. A collision numbers a -1 into the (+) of the number that goes into the filters, collision while yellow is playing is destroy, but so is collision with a wall. The filters string like so,

Equal to 3 – (pass) – animation blue – (fail) – Equal to 2 – (pass) – animation cyan – (fail) – Equal to 1 – (pass) animation yellow – (fail) – Less than 1 – (pass) – destroy

Collision with a wall sets the number to 0. Think of this like a healthbar system for your bullets, and it saves you objects, if someone is on a free account.

Another pointer is you need to make the extra life powerup very rare, like 1/50, because I had 12 lives in the first minute of the game.

Last pointer, I recently started keeping all of my behaviors in bundle boxes, so I can find stuff easier. I used to have tangled wires like you do, but I eventually got tired of searching around in the mess for behaviors, and I hated cutting a wire by accident, and never being able to figure out which one. Trust me, if you make another Starblast, make it a polished HD complete edition, the best one you can make, and keep all the stuff in bundles. It really makes things easier for me, so maybe it will save you time, too.
I suggest a box for controls, a box for powerups, a box for lives, a box for messages, and a box for settings.