Starting a story mode for FB.IO 2

I deleted the scroll view once to see what happened, but the mountain overlap happened again.
Weird, usually it’s at the back.

Hey @Luminous - I just deployed an update that should fix this issue. Refresh your page and try it again.

Yay, it works again now! Thanks @grazer ! :smiley:

Though I’m curious what the problem was…

So that’s why… give me a year and I wouldn’t have been able to guess :slight_smile:

Also, thanks for fixing the UI- no one else might’ve been bothered by it but since I use a lot of blocks in the interface layer that take up the whole screen, I didn’t really like how that played out

Oops double-comment

So the problem was a something called a “race condition” when the game was loaded. Basically that just meant that if things loaded in a specific order, then the background could be assembled improperly. That’s why it was working fine initially, but once it got to a point where certainly parts of the game were taking slightly longer to load than others, then it triggered this issue.

Thanks for reporting it. I also noticed another issue when I was investigating and fixed that as well: UI layer objects were not faded out properly in the editor when switching levels unless you clicked a switch layer button.

Now that the bug’s gone, another huge update has taken place.
????(30)
As before, this is a screen capture of the wasteland. But the story now connects to it now!
-Added the story line to the wasteland
-Added an item, “Health Box”. Heals, just like wells, but single use only
-Awakening power (No pun intended, lol). Reading the scroll reveals a secret power.

After discovering your ability to attack, you will be instantly launched into the next level.
Here you don’t have a destination (like level 1), but rather you must fight against the oncoming horde of drones (etc) until the timer ends.

????(41)
(the black circle is the timer)

The timer will slowly fill, 15 seconds at a time.

At first, only spider drones will appear. They generally know where you are, but can only redirect every 8 seconds. Takes either 2 hits by electric or 1 hit by the chakram to melt and die.

If the timer shows a quarter filled with yellow, flying triangle drones can appear from the left side, rarely from the right. They mindlessly patrol the area, and come at you when they’re close.

If the timer shows a half filled with yellow, scorching blades can appear from the right; they’re gigantic spinning blades that are almost unavoidable at ground level unless you have enough boxes to jump on, or use the teleporter.

I’m thinking of another enemy that would show up when it’s 3/4 full.

ATTACKS (determined by random):
Electricity: shoots a bolt of electricity. Less durable than the chakram, less damage.
Flame chakram: shoots a spinning blade of fire. More durable, can destroy multiple boxes, more damage.

ITEMS:
-box: not really an item. They can be more of a nuisance. Can be destroyed by any of your two attacks.
-Well: at the middle of the arena. Can be used 10 times.
-Teleporter: used to flee from enemies, or dodge scorching blades.

????(42)
????(43)

Also @grazer the level bug happened again
????(44)
(it says 12, then 12 again)

The wasteland looks really good but when I reach to the final It sends me to the turn-based battle.

And I think when I collide with the paper written by the Mayor it skips a few talks.
Oh and if I die I don’t really die (i think that’s on porpouse) and the Health doesn’t heal. That’s all the bugs I found.

Great work

When can I play :c

@PixelPizza yeah, that’s because of the level problem. It always arranges the order wrong when I refresh it… @grazer
I noticed the one with the script and I’ll try to figure that out. I didn’t make any death consequences due to testing purposes, and the health heals as far as I can tell.
@Latif3 you can play it using the link right now, through the metal door: http://flowlab.io/game/view/484707

OK, now the wasteland should connect to the defend level now, and the scroll doesn’t skip (there is one tiny inconvenience, but it can be looked over).

A small update for the day:
-You have to defend longer against the drones. The timer used to advance every 15 seconds, but now the gap is 20 seconds.
-When the timer is full, you don’t go directly to the next level, but a stairway will appear close to the right side that leads to a door.
-A new stage that will be used to continue the storyline, which I haven’t thought of yet. The first boss fight will be held at the end.
????(47)

Made a few changes to the level.
-Completed the map
-Sight disturbances, darkness
-Background theme improvements, boss theme added
-Boss&dialogue added
????(48)
All I need to do now is make all the behaviors for the insectoid…

I will test it when you finish the boss :slight_smile:

And… I’ve finished the boss!
More updates:

-The health no longer excessively overlaps. Don’t waste the wells.
-Screen shake/distortion when fighting the boss, Sight disturbance goes away.
-The boss’s attacks do damage
-The fires don’t do any damage, because… well, you’re a fireball.
-You can press spacebar to attack when you encounter the boss.
-The boss doesn’t die (yet) if his health depletes, because I haven’t started working on the next level.

The Insectoid has four attacks and 100HP, and the attacks consist of:
-Blades dance: shoots ten medium-sized spinning blades at the ground. Can only avoid by going to the far right.
-Merciless wind slash: spawns ten wind slashes that go every which way. Staying to the left is recommended.
-Spider call: spawns three spider drones. Destructiveness varies on the situation.
-Pulverize: two massive clusters of ice shoot up from the ground and does 2x the usual damage. My personal favorite, mostly because of the sprites :slight_smile:

Over the past few days, I gave the boss a couple of new attacks to become less predictable.

75 or more HP: Attacks every 5 seconds
-Blade Dance, shoots ten spinning blades at the ground
-Merciless wind slash, spawns ten wind slashes that go every which way.
-Spider call: spawns three spider drones
-Pulverize: THREE clusters of ice shoot up instead of 2.

74 or less HP: Attacks every 10 seconds
-Heavy Ground Slam: Flies up in the air, then crashes down to send two clusters of ice shooting up. More predictable than the other attacks, but cannot be attacked while in the air and blocks the path to the well.
-Destructive Hail, 15 spiked metal balls shoot down from the sky. Very fast, capable of heavy damage
-Self-Heal: Heals 20 HP. Gets very annoying if used frequently, but cannot attack for a short while.
-Death Blast: charges up energy, then unleashes 5 (almost) unavoidable beams of laser. Its most devastating move, it can wipe out most of your health in one attack. May be able to prevent some damage by climbing up the wall a little.

I found this quite hard myself, so the next step is to make items. Hopefully I don’t get any crazy ideas about making the boss stronger.
http://flowlab.io/game/play/484707

hey @grazer, I think the animations are glitching. For the “Insectoid” boss, a random part from all
its animations are wiped out.

It didn’t do that until I added a save behavior, so this is a pretty freaky bug…

Wait-- no, it’s worse
Frames somehow got transferred to other animations, with some just turning completely green.
So basically, there are healing frames in the death animation, laser-shooting frames in the healing animations etc.
O_o

@grazer I hope you saw this

In fact, I think the frames of the “death” animation got spread all over the other animations, but they all turned into green boxes instead. The frames from other animations got all mixed up, and I don’t want to have to remake all of them :frowning:

Is there any way you can fix this? It’s the first time I’ve ever seen it happen