The Genius Challenge!

it’s confusing I can’t find Major Tom

2 Likes

He’s the spaceman. You control him. The controls and steps you need to take are unclear. It’s kind of a puzzle you have to solve without any instructions.

3 Likes

Oh. I thought the player had to find and save him.

2 Likes

Sorry if that was unclear… I’ll try to change the story.

1 Like

nah… its fine.

1 Like

The game is supposed to be confusing, but not that confusing. :laughing:

Most of the controls are useless… they do something, but nothing that will help you survive. You need to find the right commands and do things in a certain order…

Don’t want to give too much away. If you delve into the coding, you might be able to figure it out that way (though good luck, the code itself is a hot mess).

EDIT: If nobody else figures it out on their own, I’ll give step by step instructions in a spoiler.

Spoiler #1:

Almost every key on the keyboard does something. Not all of those functions are useful for achieving your objective though, most I created just for amusement purposes. Don’t try to press a bunch at the same time, that can potentially break the game.

Spoiler #2:

Your Exosuit comes equipped with a certain set of skills…
These skills may prove useful to you, but be careful how you use them.
With great power comes great responsibility.

Spoiler #3:

That satellite floating around was dispatched to search for you. Would be a shame if something were to happen to it…

3 Likes

I haven’t completely finished your game yet…
SUPER FUN, THO!

Mind-blowingness: 8/10. It was actually really fun to see a world where you could accomplish more than one thing. Take certain actions, and get to the end-game. However, it was difficult to understand, and I had to look in the code in order to find out what to do :frowning:

Code complexity: 7/10. You did pretty well on the coding, but you need to add some more switches to make sure you can’t repeat actions.

Art: 9/10. You did pretty good on this!

2 Likes

Thanks! I figured part of the challenge would be to play around with the commands and figure out which ones might be useful (most of them aren’t).

Then… the rest would be left up to the player. It’s basically a “puzzle” of sorts.

I’ll add full spoilers later for those who can’t figure out how to finish successfully.

3 Likes

The game is amazing.

I have some ideas for it:

• Random black holes
  • UFO tries to kidnap spaceman

lol.

2 Likes

Thank you!

I can always make sequels later. This isn’t the only space themed game I want to make. :grin:

The main purpose of the game was to feel completely lost and not knowing what to do, and having to figure out your suit’s absurdly complex controls without any instructions. Then figure out how to make contact with earth.

I’ll add full spoilers like instructions and control commands in a later post before the contest ends.

3 Likes

A couple of spoilers for those who haven’t figured out my game…

Spoiler #1:

Apollo 24 experienced a critical error due to “unknown outside interference”. Major Tom is able to eject the capsule safely, but the source of that interference is probably still lingering around…

Spoiler #2:

A satellite has been dispatched to search for Major Tom. It probably got hit with the same interference that disabled Apollo 24, and may be in need of repairs…

Spoiler #3:

Major Tom’s exosuit comes complete with multiple jetpack controls, communication arrays for multiple frequencies, onboard lighting, personal and environmental scanners, along with a nearly limitless supply of defensive rocket munitions, a short range EMP emitter, and an automated repair tool.

2 Likes