The Ultimate Platformer Enemy

@“JR 01” Can you maybe help? Your an expert at Flowlab, so maybe you could make an example of what I am talkinmg about

-Distancing from player
I would try using a proximity that would move away from the player. Use a NOR gate to know when the proximity isn’t outputting.

-A mix of random attacks
Not sure on the attackes or how random it is, but maybe try something like…
Random (0-10), Overhand attack (0-5), Underhand (6-9), Pierce (10).

• An attempt at dogeing some attacks
    I guess this means to block… I would do this when he moves away from the player.
    Message him when the player attacks.
  • And of course anything else to help make a successful Enemy (e.g movement)
    Many things just needs to be for what your tying to do.
    I use Raycast and Proximities a lot when I build ai’s, not so much collisions.

@“JR 01” and @Superstargames My Games are visable again so here is a link to the game: https://flowlab.io/html5/bin/1387014
And here is the enemy code so far:
Screenshot 2020-04-07 at 15.48.19
Can’t stop the code from colliding and glitching(ish) but everything seems to be fine so far. Could you take a look at what has been done so far for the enemy (P.s I plan to have him jump back at some points) and see what you guys can do to polish it?

sweet! I can continue working on nightbolt now!

Try this and set the top top raycast distance to 250 instead:
2020.04.07-13.42

@“JR 01” Thank you. You, @seamothmaster45 and @Superstargames need to check out the code now. No screenshots this time - just trust me. Link above. Try out test level 2 and see what you think of the fight. Is it authentic, like a game you would see in stores? What else would you add to make this better? BTW thank you for all the help! Also added sprites to enemy!

@“JR 01” ? @Superstargames ? @seamothmaster45 ? Anyone? …

yes?

can someone help me and those sprites look cool

@XXD3G Thank you I might be able to help. What with? And @seamothmaster45 what I posted above the last comment I made.

in my game, i want it so like in Mario kart , you can use items from the random item boxes, and you’ll be able to actually temporarely use them

I can probably help with that tommorow @XXD3G . That should not be very hard.

oh I tried but it would not work! It kept teleporting me even if I moved the enemy!

@“The Kodex”, your questions were;
“Is it authentic, like a game you would see in stores? What else would you add to make this better?”

Is it authentic?

• Yes, you made an object move and react to its role. You made a small AI.

Is it like a game you would see in stores?

• Not so much, Ai’s made on store shelves are made by groups of people or industries that devotes there time, and gets paid, to making the best Ai corresponding to there game.

The Biggest AI I’ve seen In flowlab, that I know of, is made by me in my Flowjam game NYCTOPHOBIA.
On “Level 3” level, there is an AI that I’ve spent 8 hours on to attack the player by stopping at it’s X coordinates (for if the player falls), climb over cliffs, Move away from the Light, and climb walls.
ALL with proper animations to boot, such as jumping on walls, climbing over cliffs, running and waiting.

NYCTOPHOBIA:
https://flowlab.io/game/play/1319512

What else would you add to make this better?

• AI’s are made to move around the game you made with your ideas. Add anything you would think would be better or more natural for that character. If you like how it is, its fine. If you want to add jumping mechanics, then try your best to make it jump how you want it to.

You said you planned to have him Jump back, correct?
I would like to see how you try making this and the results of your creation.

@“JR 01” Thanks for the feedback if you looked I tried to use ease to make the enemy jump back but insyead it done more of a glide whixh I turned into a rocket booted jeckpack jump back. Did you play it scince my update because he ko d of does a jumpback.

What I will say is maybe when fighting, does it feel… Good? Does it feel enjoyable? In all my other games, all the enemies are still hitting projectiles at you, or just hitting you, which is lame. In this, it is way more advanced.

What I would like is what you would add\like to see in an enemy. This enemy. You mentioned yours could climb walls, ect… I’m not sure if I want that because this is an enemy in which is most likely to come in pairs of three to one. They should be simple to defeat but give you a good fight. What would make them better? If a short, 5-6 list of things you would add / like to see that would be great.

In terraria, a mix of sorts of enemies as everyone knows, usually some like zombies just walk towards you and if you collide it causes damage. Sometimes there are warloxks / mages which fires projextiles at you and teleports somewhere in your proloximity when taking to much damage or walking away. Though simple, and hard to call an “advanced” AI system, it is effecive and simple/basic, but manages to fullfill what an enemy should. Is this what it should be more like? Basic? It does depend on the game sometimes.

In Nyctoohobia, a platformer and arguabley a horror game about light and darkness trials, enemis chasing you is perfect and fits the style. But in my game is focouses on the combat a lot. My player has a range of attacks to do, including melee sword, pistol, rifle, grenade and legendary weapon as well as loads of gadgets like a shrink and able to walk through certain walls. What style do you think the game and the enemies should fit? This is not just for @JR_01 , but also @Superstargames and @seamothmaster45 . And @seamothmaster45 I do not know why it did not work? Maybe try… Reloading the page? I’ll look into it tommorow…

okay @The Kodex

Okay @“The Kodex”
BTW sorry for not responding for so long, I have been pretty busy lately, and cannot devote my time to Flowlab at the moment.

Okay @Superstargames , what do ya think? @“JR 01” , any follow up rrsponse either?

Yeah, it’s looking good so far. I can definitely see this game evolving into a huge project.

@“The Kodex”
I didnt mean to directly compare AI’s but more demonstrating what I achieved give longer time.
Ai’s are for sure not created equally but to serve the purpose of your intentions.

As for the AI and what I would like to see:
I never seem to get him to walk forward and he always moves to the right when I’m not on the ground.
The jetpack is a good idea but seems a little slow and doesnt get him away from the player quick enough. (I’m looking at this similar as the a jump backwards mechanic)

I would create an Ai thats always on the move, dodge and attack the player, Maybe mix in some randomness. Attacking from a distance would be a great idea, but would also help if the player was able to know where he is in a battle.