Bounce Jam Feedback/Update List

Game: http://www.flowlab.io/game/play/1115539
This discussion is (primarily) for either telling me what you think about the game, requesting a feature or reporting a bug! This is also where i list updates!

<i>Known bugs:</i>

*The ‘Fancy Collision system’ (As i like to call it) is known to cause lag when pressing S or when hitting a key-block. I’m trying to look for more optimized solutions to this collision system but at the moment i can’t find any that don’t break the system! So, unfortunately, this will have to stay for a while.
*Gravity blocks give you more velocity the first time you bounce on them. I have no clue why this is
*FPS counter shows 0 when transitioning levels until reset

Updates: (With fancy names!)

**The All-around update**

*End blocks now shoot out 1 extra shard upon hitting them, purely cosmetic
*You can now mute the game by pressing “O” (‘M’ was taken by the optimization binds)
*The collision blocks now use a MUCH more optimized system! (Got the optimization idea when looking around the code :P) Now, you don’t have to press L every-time you wanna play the game!
*LOTS of improvements to the main menu! Including fancy NEW animations!
*Iv’e COMPLETELY recoded the fancy collision system! The game should now run a LOT better!
*Removed level 3 (Optimization reasons, sadly)
*Made level 1 and level 2 easier for players who are just… Well, bad at platforming!
*Added the brand new “Mouse block” which basically slides with the ball and can be used as a mobile platform, following your mouses up and down movements! It’s pretty neat i’d say, but currently no levels have been designed for it HOWEVER i am planning on including it in the final game as its own mode! You can summon it in by clicking anywhere and can de-spawn it by letting go! Try it out!
*It’s finally happened: The spawning system is being COMPLETELY recoded from the ground up! The goal is to make a spawner which is less glitch-y, more efficient and takes up less blocks in the block limit than the previous system!
*Added a “Back” button to the main menu
*Your cursor no longer shows up in the levels or in the tutorial

*“God-mode” in the tutorial no longer makes you actually invincible. Now, upon hitting a wall or a spike: Your ball will be knocked backwards, giving you a chance to redeem yourself! This only saves you once and is only useful for helping you fix your dumb mistakes! At the moment, this effect is only in the tutorial BUT in the future: I plan to implement it else where in the game!

*The ball now goes inverted for a bit when hitting a Gravity block
*Getting to the end of a level will open a prompt, which you can click on to continue to level 2!
*Working on an “Options” menu

**The Everything Update**

*Completely recoded the ‘manual camera’ system. It is now entirely dynamic AND i have more control over how it works!
*Chipped off a corner of the “O” in the Bounce Jam font to make it more in line with everything else
*Added a new possible spike skin, to add just a tiny bit more variety to spike beds!
*Added a credits menu to the game, to properly thank everyone who helped the game get to the point it is now!
*Used the ‘manual camera’ system to give the Bounce Jam ball a new fancy camera! Now, the camera will smooth itself out a little and hover a bit in front of the ball so you can react to what’s in-front of you faster!
*The new fancy camera system now actually uses it’s OWN auto-scroll code! Which basically means i now have far more control over Bounce Jam’s camera!
*Fixed a bug where one block wide gaps could always be jumped on

*Started work on rebuilding ALL of Bounce Jam’s levels from the ground up to give them a more pleasant difficulty curve and calmer music!
*New key block art
*Added BitWit to the credits :wink:
*Added patriotism (An Easter egg)
*Added a small message to the game for players caught cheating or using the editor.
*Added a customizable upward offset to the main menu camera, to keep consistency.
*Completely recoded the fancy collision system for the last time. Now, the blocks no longer re-spawn; instead they simply teleport downwards and then teleport back up when necessary! This is a trick often used in games outside of Flowlab but i had the idea to use it here. This essentially eliminates ALL the lag that was generated before, so now we’re just left with a kick-ass collision system!
*Re-textured the collision blocks, so they no longer blend in with the ground blocks and look more like the rolling block (Another block who’s texture is only visible in the editor)
*Added a home button to the long untouched “Arcade”/endless mode. So you can now back pedal out of that mess!
*Added transparency to certain textures. Including end shards, the cloak blocks and the Bounce Jam ball itself
*Ground blocks now get crushed when you hit them from the right… Finally
*Added “Spacebar” and “Ctrl” as valid keys, for those who thought using only W-A-S-D wasn’t intuitive
*Added a neat little Easter egg for those playing on Halloween or Christmas
*Ball residue now has additive blending added to it. If that made no sense to you: The ball tracer now looks better
*Updated the HUD to be more lively!

**The Community update**

*Worked with @XxCarbotxX to redo the Special block sprite. Others will be re-done in the future!
*Added the long-awaited (By me, anyway) feature of Gravity blocks now being able to send you back DOWN just like how Flip blocks can!
*FINALLY added settings to the “Options” menu! Currently, all that’s included is a REAL FPS counter, but in the future i plan to add more!
*Fixed long standing bug of the Mouse block having more collision below than above
*Optimized the death orbs’ code
*Added sparkle animations to the spikes with random delays
*Modified level 1 to show off just how good the end wave effect is!
*Added a new particle effect: “Ground Particles”! Thank @rcreger for that change!
*The ball no longer truly “Respawns”, it now teleports back to the start. This will single handedly fix ALL the bugs related to respawning but will create others which i will do my best to solve!
*I finally figured out why the game is so laggy. I’m sorry to those were a fan of the ground pulse effect, we had to remove it…
*Added a new gradient to Bounce Jam that changes color based on level! (Inspired by DoM)
*Fixed the settings menu not updating visually
*Added a new way to play Bounce Jam: “Hard mode”, at the current moment this merely speeds up the physics but i plan to do more with it in the future!

2 Likes

@Crigence this game is actually pretty good and fun, but its really hard.

I agree it is hard @“Johnny boy” , but is REALLY good, and I played it just when he started making it, and it was already good then! @Crigence , this is definitely one of the best games for an infinite runner I’ve seen on FlowLab, and has a shot for the the first page!

(P.S., if you want, I could re-review this so that it has a chance into my Game of the Week, nothing really big, but would be fun! Thanks!)

1 Like

but I just found this cheat where you can fly

@“Johnny boy”
You mean clicking? That’s intentional! That’s the “Flappy Bird” way to play the game!

@rcreger
Thanks for the kind words about the game! I’ll re-submit the game after i finish Level 2!

I tried making Level 2 but turns out i made it WAY too hard so now i made that Level 3 and now i’m starting level 2 again!

If anyone wants to actually PLAY what was level 2 and is now level 3 just go into the editor and select it! It’s called “Hell”, but don’t worry: It’s the shortest level in the game >;)

I just launched a HUGE update for the game! Check the description to see what’s been added!

Just launched yet another update. This one is more about polishing the game before i start work on level 3! Enjoy!

Its so hard lol

Good game, good graphics, good game mechanics! Really good so far @Crigence ! Who knows, maybe the former legendary reveiwer shall have his own game reviewed…

Keep it up!

1 Like

Iv’e just published another update! This might be the last one for a little while, though

I have a YouTube channel to worry about now so i gotta spend my time wisely! Here’s a link if you’re interested: https://bit.ly/323c6hE

Just published the final update for a while. I wanna focus more on Crigence n’ GWAG, my new high quality lets play channel! https://bit.ly/323c6hE

Here’s a new channel artwork we made in-case you need some motivation:Artwork finished2 small
Till i come back, bounce on! ~Crigence

1 Like

I have come back to work on Bounce Jam for a bit

In this next update, i’m going to bring on various community members to help out with the game and start hosting community POLLS to help decide the future of Bounce Jam

This is going to be the games final update, or at least ONE of the games final updates, before i finally move on to other projects (At least until i get Flowlab Indie)

Get ready, because we’re in for a wild ride! ~Crigence

2 Likes

Remember how i said that there would be community polls for Bounce Jam? Well, this is what i mean’t!

@ManiacPumpkin didn’t only suggest that we add Timer mode (Something which is already in a rough yet playable state), but he ALSO suggested that we add a shop. This was mainly mean’t to be used in conjunction with Arcade mode but it could be expanded to campaign mode as well!

So with that out of the way: Do you believe we should add a shop to Bounce Jam that uses the special block points as currency?

• Yes, it could improve Bounce Jam’s replay-ability
  • No, it’s unnecessary

0 voters

Poll closes in 5 days, so get going!

1 Like

I’m gonna send an open commission to the community:

I want to give Bounce Jam a good thumbnail on Flowlab so that IF Grazer ever adds this game to the front page it can be as eye catching as possible!

The question is: Who is going to make the thumbnail? Currently, we have 2 active community contributors who have experience in pixel art: @XxCarbotxX and @rcreger-

But i decided that this would be a great opportunity to try to rope another artist into the project so they can get into the credits!

I decided i’ll wait 5 days to see if another pixel artist is willing to create a thumbnail. After that, we’ll see if the existing artists are willing to make one themselves. If all else fails, i can always hop into gimp and try my best…

PS: Grazer, i know you like to appear out of thin air everytime your name is brought up (Even if you’re not mentioned) so i would like to take this opportunity to ask you what you think of the game

1 Like

Bounce Jam’s Community Update is over.

To start this announcement off, I’d just like to say thank you to everyone who made Bounce Jam’s final update its best:

@rcreger (Plymouth Entertainment in-game)
@XxCarbotxX
@ManiacPumpkin
@F3Art (Even if it WAS incredibly indirectly, lol)

The community update has made this already good game better in everyway and it definitely wouldn’t look as good as it does now without the aforementioned!

Now, the moment everyone was waiting for whether they realized it or not, the final update list:

The Community Update

*Worked with @XxCarbotxX to redo the Special block sprite. Others will be re-done in the future!

*Added the long-awaited (By me, anyway) feature of Gravity blocks now being able to send you back DOWN just like how Flip blocks can!

*FINALLY added settings to the “Options” menu! Currently, all that’s included is a REAL FPS counter, but in the future i plan to add more!

*Fixed long standing bug of the Mouse block having more collision below than above

*Optimized the death orbs’ code

*Added sparkle animations to the spikes with random delays

*Modified level 1 to show off just how good the end wave effect is!

*Added a new particle effect: “Ground Particles”! Thank @rcreger for that change!

*The ball no longer truly “Respawns”, it now teleports back to the start. This will single handedly fix ALL the bugs related to respawning but will create others which i will do my best to solve!

*I finally figured out why the game is so laggy. I’m sorry to those were a fan of the ground pulse effect, we had to remove it…

*Added a new gradient to Bounce Jam that changes color based on level! (Inspired by DoM)

*Fixed the settings menu not updating visually

*Added a new way to play Bounce Jam: “Hard mode”, at the current moment this merely speeds up the physics but i plan to do more with it in the future!

*You can no longer die in the tutorial, you just recoil instead

*Added an Easter Egg to the tutorial

*Changed “rcreger” to “Plymouth Entertainment” in the credits

*Used the “Enabled” block to make it so blocks with pulse effects on them get disabled with distance (In-short: Optimization)

*Added a far more optimized pulse effect back into the game

*Optimized the end blocks

*Added @rcreger’s updated sprites to the game

*Added Plymouth’s Bounce Jam exclusive track: “Hippin’ Hoppin” to the tutorial

*Tweaked the recoiling feature seen in the tutorial

*Fixed bug where the ball still recoils to the left even if the ball is going left

*Fixed the “Go to level 2” button to work with the new system… Not like it matters since nothing has a level 2 yet
*After the Hard mode pop-up opens, the game will now get rid of the “FPS” in “Show FPS” and lock all the buttons. So you can no-longer accidentally turn off the FPS counter while getting rid of the pop-up!

*The kill button (“/”) just recoiled you in the tutorial instead of actually killing you after i added the recoil funcion – Now it completely bypasses any sign telling the ball it cannot die and kills it anyway. (Even in the tutorial)

*Fixed the ball not making any gravity-switch sound upon hitting the Gravity block after already being upside down

*Added a basic speedrun mode to the game called “Timer mode”! In timer mode, the game speeds up as you hit Special blocks (There’ll be more speed-based differences in the future).

• No sane person should do this , but i also made it so if you try Timer mode while playing on Hard difficulty, you start off with a +10 percent bonus from the get-go. Don’t do this unless you’re a god with a computer to match!

*Scrolling over the gamemodes on the main-menu now brings up a small description of said gamemode

*And with that – Bounce Jam now has a custom cursor (That i was forced to add). I personally love it!

*The overlay now changes both when Hardmode in enabled and when Timermode is on. (Hardmode almost makes Bounce Jam look like a horror game).

*Fixed CTRL not allowing you to roll over 1 block wide spaces and added ALL the arrow keys as valid keys! Left-handed people can now rejoice!

*Remade Bounce Jams timer both visually and internally. Speed runners rejoice!

*The timer on the HUD now ONLY appears in… Well, Timer mode. This surprisingly saves 1-2 frames in normal mode!

*Optimized the main-menu master objects code. This will not only help out people digging through the games code: But may improve framerate on the main menu a little!

*Went through an hour of pain to get the gamemode descriptions to fade

*The special blocks can no longer be hit twice and are FAR more visibly obvious when they’ve been hit. (Honestly i don’t know why i didn’t add this sooner). I also slightly optimized the special blocks

*Optimized the Door blocks, Rolling blocks and Block Collsions’ completely… (To think i had no idea what the enabled behavior did for a year). ”Block Collision” is essentially a paper weight now

*Started work on giving Bounce Jam’s main menu keyboard controls. It’s VERY wonky at the moment, but you can select a gamemode using keyboard controls right now.

*Fixed a bug that came up in some recent update involving the options menu… Turns out, i forgot to disable a switch while playing around with the games code

*The Bounce Jam ball now uses a single Once behavior that gets transmitted to all bundles. Honestly, i can’t believe I missed the bundle input/output feature for so many years…

*I went on a noting-spree, to make Bounce Jam’s code more digestible and to make sure i don’t forget anything. Feel free to take a read!

*Several less important blocks were given global onces’ and always’. Global always’ are risky, but considering how much people complain about FPS (At least, back in the day) i took my chances

*Fixed a bug that came up in some recent update involving the credits button sending you to the COMPLETELY wrong location. Turns out: The camera was set to move to the BUTTON, not the way-point. Human error, baby!

*I have 0 idea what happened to the bundle for “Back3” but i came up with a solution to save on code: Essentially, the way Bounce Jam’s Manual-camera system works with back buttons is that there are 2 modes: One with only the X coordinate, and one with both. I’m going to make all back buttons that use either mode have the same exact messages in the games code. It’s doubtful this will cause bugs down the line but it IS a possibility if i get sloppy HOWEVER it’s worth it to save on frames!

*Hitting the End Portals in Timer Mode now causes a cool countdown to begin instead of the usual “Next level” pop-up. Meaning if you decide to speedrun the entire “Game”, you no longer have to click the pop-up ASAP!

*Added a few extra notes and added particles for when the Bounce Jam ball hits the side of a ground block

*Packaged all the different controls into a bundle, may prevent glitches down the road

For those wondering what I plan on doing now that Bounce Jam is over: I’m currently in the process of remaking Old Super Mario Bros’ code from the ground up, and I have a new project in the works that aims to be a nice, several hour long experience with the initials “CC” (No, not closed captions)

Once again:

1 Like

Woah, that’s a lot XD

2 Likes

Yah, looks like you’ve been busy

Surprise!

I came back to give Bounce Jam 1 final feature to flex on all other Flowlab programmers before I leave: A replay system

In-short: When the Bounce Jam ball dies, a “ghost” will now appear with it when it respawns- tracing exactly what the player did before they died. It’s a surprisingly basic system, but it’s a very cool feature indeed!

I hope you all enjoy it

1 Like