Crunch Time: all your research in 60 minutes or less

Hello there!
This topic is a new attempt at a project I have considered doing for some time now. If this becomes successful, I will continue to do my best to keep posting here.

Here in the flowlab community, you rarely need to wait an hour before numerous people will joyfully aid you in your coding adventures and technical difficulties. However, some simply need help in game theory, narrative design, and simply finding a place to start. Inspiration is always welcome in places like these.

I have substantial experience in game design and programming in general, tinkering with everything from mods for Project Zomboid and Minecraft to scripting in Java and C++. I have loved created physical and digital games since my first ramshackle creation when I was three. Due to my experience and my current study in game design as a college student, I decided I could best benefit the Flowlab community by posting summaries of key research topics here.

My goal with these research topics is to give all users a basic comprehension of the topic at hand, certain intermediate knowledge that I find immediately applicable, and a handful of resources for those seeking a total understanding of a topic. I strive to create simple, easy to understand content that is both informative and enjoyable.

Some broad topics that will be covered are as follows:
Game narrative structure
Game mechanic design
Programming basics (potentially how-tos for other languages)
Graphical Design
Information on topics for immersion

I look forward to creating this content for you all, and any and all feedback, criticism, and support is welcome!

7 Likes

Current topic list:

Basics of shooter games
Procedural generation
Medieval combat basics and how to implement it in games
(maybe) how to balance PVP competitive games

4 Likes

Is this for other platforms and coding languages? Or does this also apply to flowlab as well?

Personally, as much as I love game design, writing novels is more for me so I don’t think I’ll ever expand much past flowlab, but you never know.

5 Likes

My goal is to make basics for game design in general. With some potential exceptions, I will be teaching game mechanics and theory rather than a coding language. My hopes is that people will be able to implement this in flowlab as well as any other programming language they may engage with later on.

3 Likes

Guns in Video Games

Shooter games are the most popular game genre to date. With titanic titles such as Call of Duty, Battlefield, and Halo, as well as indie titles like Battlebit, Ready or Not, and Splitgate constantly steamrolling the industry, it is essential to learn how modern weaponry is implemented in video games if one wishes to make the next big hit.

Topics covered in this article

• Raycasting v.s. 3D Bullets

• Basics of a weapon

• Balancing gameplay with immersion and how to design guns

• How to responsibly represent firearms in games

Raycast v.s. 3D Bullets

One of the most critical components to how firearms operate in video games is bullet trajectory. In general, there are two ways that most video games implement projectile firing: hitscans, also known as raytracing, and projectiles, also known as 3d bullets. Before we delve into how these work, let’s take a look at how real bullets fly.

Bullets in real life fire at shocking speeds. From the standard .45 caliber that fires at 750 mph to the titanic .50 caliber that will leave more hole than target moving at 2,050 mph, all calibers move faster than the human eye can detect. The part of the equation that most non-firearm owners take into consideration, however, is that bullets are certainly effected by outside forces, often to the extreme due to their miniscule size. Wind speed, air resistance, and gravity all effect a bullet. Firing even at a mere 25 yards requires one to adjust for these factors. With this in mind, let us examine how these physics are implemented in video games.

Hitscan

Hitscan is a rather simple concept and the first form of decent gun implementation in video games. Rather than simulating all of these elements, many developers decide to simply throw a raycast as a bullet. In essence, they are firing a laser beam that detects objects. If an object is within its path, then the target takes damage, is punctured, is destroyed, etc. This is most useful when creating small-scale environments. For example, games such as Call of Duty and Doom work fantastically with this, as simulating realistic physics would be unnecessary and drastically impact the performance. In tight spaces, this can work fantastically, as there can be absolutely no need for simulating such a fast object when everything is so close together. Some developers even choose to add animations of physics bullets that are not how the game actually calculates damage for immersion:

(for context, the Lethal Company turret only fires roughly three times per second.)

3D Physics

Creating physics for projectiles can be extremely beneficial for long-range weaponry. Typically, even the most immersive video games such as Ready or Not uses raycasting in close quarters. However, for larger arenas or slower projectiles, it can be extremely beneficial to have custom physics.

There are several points to remember when creating physical projectiles. For one, bullets drop at normal gravitational speed. There is nothing special about them. The only reason they seem to fall slower is because they often reach their target before they substantially accelerate downwards. In terms of design, one optimal strategy is to have the hitbox smaller than the sprite. For example, if an arrow is fired and it just barely clips a wall before reaching an enemy, it feels drastically unsatisfying that you were an unlucky handful of pixels away from success. Finally, consider how difficult gameplay will be with physics if your projectiles are moving slowly or across a severely large arena. For example, none of the major realistic shooters use wind draft or bullet drag in any significant way, as it is far too high a skill curve for new or casual players to ever be able to engage in long range. Finally, take a lesson from Battlefield 1 and do your best to not add randomness to attacks.

Basics of a Weapon

Fear not if you are making your own weaponry or simply do not care to make your weapons immersive. The first section of this will simply overview small arms types and what feels they give. Afterwards there will be an optional read section for those of you who wish to create theoretically functional and highly immersive modern weapons.

Throughout history firearms have substantially evolved. The first recorded uses of firearms in combat are the Chinese Hand Canons. These were widely popular throughout the 1400s-1600s until they were replaced by muskets and other flintlock weapons. Although there is much to be said about how these weapons operated, I will save that for those who wish to research more. What we can take from this is a fascinating use of firearms in games that is rarely used. As it takes a well-trained soldier roughly twenty seconds to load and fire these forms of weapons, gameplay can turn from a chaos-packed shooter to tactical strategery with intense moments. Only a handful of games such as Blackwake and War of Rights have capitalized on this unique chance for captivating gunplay.

If this peaks your interest at all, peruse this gameplay footage:

A few notes on firearm parts:

-The breach is where the spend cartridge ejects. If you are designing conventional science fiction weapons, you have an option to either remove the chamber entirely, as Star Wars blasters often do, or to grant it a similar purpose, as Warhammer 40K’s bolters do well.

-The caliber of the weapon should be the main determiner for damage. Unless there is a specific, canonical purpose to a slightly cooler gun dealing significantly more damage, the only thing varying damage does is break immersion. This is one of the biggest pitfalls in AAA titles today. If you want to see this done well with modern weapons, take a look at Ready or Not.

-Weapons are heavy! A simple loaded Glock-17 weighs in at two pounds, while a loaded AR-15 can weigh up to 8.5 pounds. Whether or not this is a mechanic in your game is up to you, but take it into consideration before you give Doom Guy 69 HMGs to lug in his backpack.

-LEARN how chambering works! If you have a round in the chamber, when you reload a conventional firearm you do not need to prime the weapon. Many games such as Fallout 4 and even Overwatch get this horrifically wrong, forcing the character to waste time and ammunition. Instead, take some inspiration from the incredibly fun and immersive gunplay from Project Zomboid.

-When designing weapons, keep in mind the health system. Very few games encapsulate the power and fear firearms have, as in games like Splitgate where one can simply walk off ten rounds to the chest. Some games can masterfully create immersion from the synchronisity of health and gunplay, such as â– â– â– â–  Let Loose (contains graphic imagery). You do not need to make your gameplay realistic. Many critical hits such as Risk of Rain and Stick Fight: The Game hold outlandishly unrealistic gunplay, yet still work well with their genres as they intentionally work to make the guns feel as impactful as possible.

There are innumerable gameplay genres that can evolve from a simple peak into gunplay such as western shooters, RTS gameplay, long-range combat, and much, much more. For the sake of brevity for this article, I will attempt to surmise the most modern and traditional weapons rather than lend a grueling paragraph to each genre.

Pistols and Revolvers are the primary weapons used as sidearms in shooters. Pistols work in a unique fashion and often serve as sidearms in both real-world scenarios and many shooter games. The main reason for this is its slim frame and manageable size. However, these weapons are also the most popular for self defense and personal carry, as they are much easier to conceal and holster than something like a revolver and much lighter than a rifle. On the other hand, revolvers are drastically easier for a beginner to use. Clever game designers could give a player a revolver as their starting weapon, teaching both the player and the character weapon basics. Revolvers, due to the nature of a large rotating barrel, nearly always hold less rounds than a pistol and take significantly longer to reload. If designing revolvers as science fiction weapons, attempt to find a reason as to why they exist. Fuel cells and energy cores most likely do not need to spin.

Two approaches often come with sidearms in games: either give them the same stopping power as your standard weapon or make them substantially weaker. The benefit of keeping sidearms on par with other weapons is that you never feel out of the fight. Additionally, you can often find an excuse to use the sidearm mid-fight, giving the player greater agency and/or designing an intentional feel around gun swapping. However, forcing sidearms to be weaker does come with its advantages too. For example, being made to stick to your primary creates a sense of total urgency and desperation when forced to use a sidearm. Such feelings are encapsulated well in games that make use of this mechanic, such as Battlefield V, but are lost in others like SCP: 5K.

Long guns are typically what make the bulk of firearm choices in shooter games. These can range from bolt action to assault rifles to shotguns. I will attempt to briefly surmise how to design these weapons below.

Rifles are not all the same. This is critical to understand. Assault rifles are rifles that have a selector switch, allowing the user to fire either automatically or singe-shot, and in some instances in a burst. Weapons such as the AR-15 and Winchester Wildcat are not assault rifles. Their purpose is for both self defense and game hunting. Consider the purpose of the weapon canonically when designing them. For example, rifles in Warhammer 40K are nearly always assault rifles, as the entire universe is locked in an eternal war. Other games such as BIGFOOT have nearly no automatic weapons, as although they would be handy, such devices have no reason to be present in the context of the game. When designing the form of the weapon, consider that it must be ergonomic to the user. Alien weapons will not have amicably human grips, there is little reason for a blocky frame for a weapon, and attachments may or may not be significant in your world.

Shotguns are the standard area blaster for weapons. It is rather difficult to fail in shotgun design. However, take these few tips when designing one:

-Shotguns use distinct types of ammunition. Birdshot can barely kill a human, while buckshot will certainly end a life and a slug can penetrate most armor.

-Do NOT fall for the trope that shotguns lose damage over range quickly. The barrel where the pellets are fired from are still fired from a singular bore, and as such they all travel in the same direction. Unless your shotgun is some form of energy weapon, there is little reason for them to lose damage over a small range.

I do believe I need to note on submachine guns. Modern submachine guns are typically high-firing weapons of small calibers. As such, a submachine gun and a machine gun have practically no difference in settings such as science fiction or steampunk unless you have a lower energy level or something along those lines for some reason.

Machine guns do not take much thought to design, and as such I will not be covering them here. However, I may make a designing heavy weapons article at some point to cover this topic in detail.

How to Responsibly Represent Firearms in a Game

If you are considering making a war game or something of a similar nature, I implore you to first watch Battlefield 1’s introductory gameplay. It changed my life and I hope it changes yours.

This is the most difficult section of this topic, both for myself to write and for you to implement. As such, I will attempt, to be quick and clear in my points. These notes will not be on gameplay, but rather ethics and narrative.

If you are attempting to design a semi-realistic game, do not overglorify killing. Far too many games make killing the objective. This is not a bad thing, but incorporating the objective of death with a realistic setting can often be borderline derogatory to real-life issues. For example, war should not be viewed as “fun” or “entertaining.”

However, this does not mean that gun games are bad, and not even necessarily fantasized gun games. The real issue comes when fantasy is made to represent reality. Be careful when designing your gun games. Every game holds a worldview. Design it well and intentionally.

This about sums up my perspectives and insights on gun games. This is a first attempt at a long-form piece of content, and I fully expect it to have flaws and struggles. Any feedback that you are willing to provide would be greatly appreciated!

For those of you who wish to know more about designing gunplay:

Why Doom works so well

A politicized but very insightful view on the ethics of gun games

Some great games to check out

Project Zomboid – keeping guns minimal yet great

Ready or Not – Raycasting done right in epic immersion

Battlefield 1 – Projectiles done right in epic immersion

Risk of Rain 2 – Uses both raycasting and projectiles

Stick Fight: The Game – A goofy party game that uses projectiles

5 Likes

I wasn’t going to read all of that but this seems cool!

4 Likes

I just read it all and it is super cool!
Thanks @meburningslime, helpful stuff!

3 Likes

Thank you so much! I am glad that this is helpful. I did a lot of both research and recalling past experience. I tried to keep the embedded videos short and the linked topics thorough.

4 Likes

Hey, question, could this topic also help with a comic im working on as well as peoples games?

2 Likes

Wow, I was not expecting such an in-depth post! Great job!

2 Likes

Certainly. I attempt to have all of my content as broably applicable as possible, and I am not afraid to curate it toward my audience. There will be some stuff in there for you. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Which are more valuable to you? This will determine what I will add more of in future posts.

• Examples from popular games
  • Flowlab examples
  • Videos showing the concept
  • Suggestions on design
  • Sources Cited and further reading
0 voters

why am i the only one who voted for sources cited??

3 Likes

Basics of Game Narrative

Alright, here’s a fun one. Today we’ll be going over the fundamentals of game narrative and the different styles and techniques used to tell engaging stories. Here’s our list of topics for today:

• Types of Narratives

• Tension, Climaxes and Resolutions

• Magic Circles

Types of Narratives

Linear, Foldback (and variables), Open

Whilst I would find it shocking if a reader of this article has not comprehended the types of narratives used in video games, I will still briefly summarize all of the major forms. This is both to ensure everyone has an equal understanding of the topic and so that it is easier to build off of for other points.

Linear Narrative
halo master chief
Linear narratives are games that bring the player from point A, through point B, to point C. Not much must be explained here. Most older games and many indie short titles are linear based. The trick to linear games is to continue to give the consumer a sense of agency even though the entire story is pre-scripted. How to do this will be touched upon later.

Branching Narratives

Branching narratives are the first form of nonlinear gameplay. Rather than rely upon a set, pre-determined story, branching narratives grant players agency by allowing them to determine how the story unfolds. This has several advantages, primarily greater player agency than a linear narrative while still giving the game an intentional story.

Foldbacks are an integral part of many branching narrative games. A foldback is where the numerous branching paths reconvene at a key focal point. For example, in Detroit: Become Human’s Hostage Rescue Mission, the player is free to do whatever he wants, whether that be saving the fish that fell out of the tank or grabbing the gun that slid under the table. No matter what decisions are made, however, the player will always have two events happen: They will always speak to the police captain and they will always go outside to negotiate with the hostage taker. The decisions made in between are critical and drastically effect the storyline, but the character’s actions will always fold back into key moments.

Nearly every game with a branching narrative operates with some foldbacks, and all must design particular scenes and paths to choose from. When creating game branching paths, one would be wise to consider The Game Narrative Toolbox’s three tips:

“When offering players a large choice that will increase the scope for you and the team, you get the most bang for your buck by ensuring:

• The choice is telegraphed clearly during the buildup, so players are excited to make the choice.
  • Players have some idea what the consequences of their decision will be before they make it.
  • Ramifications from the decision are seen both immediately (within the next thirty minutes after making the choice) and at the end of the game. These are the two times in which your callbacks will have the most emotional resonance.”

IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, PLAY THESE TWO GAMES. Both have free demos, so as long as you have any form of operational computer, you should be able to at least taste the beauty of these two games. I strongly recommend that you do absolutely no research about these games at any point. Experience them for yourself. It will blow your mind open to so many concepts involving narrative and how gameplay is designed.

The Stanley Parable

Detroit: Become Human

Open Worlds

Open-world games are among the most popular genres currently. What makes these titles both the most engaging and among the most difficult to create well is their sandbox nature. Rather than curate and craft a captivating experience for your players, you must create ingredients and loose encounters that are then simultaneously randomly fed to and hand-picked by the player. Even open-world games with linear stories such as Skyrim and Valheim are engulfed with random encounters and unique scenarios every playthrough, simply due to how many unscripted and randomized events could occur.

The level of scriptedness and flavor of open-worlds can vary widely. Some games, such as Breath of the Wild, have hand-crafted encounters that gives the player exactly the feel the developers wanted them to. On the other hand, Skyrim has thousands of encounters that play out drastically different depending on how you have played up to that point.

So much, then, for the forms of narrative storytelling.

Tensions, Climaxes, and Resolutions

Designing tensions, climaxes, and resolutions in your game takes intentional design. First, before you create your game, it is highly recommended that you make a story chart.

The standard story arc in most narrative art follows this basic trend. If you didn’t see this in third grade, I am unsure of what planet you came from. However, I will quickly explain how this works application to games.

First off, exposition and building the world’s settings is often a pitfall for beginning game developers. In the introduction to the game, you must give the player the rules of engagement in the game. For example, if the setting is a 1920’s noir game but with magic, you must explain to the player that there is magic in the introduction. Otherwise, content can often fly out of left field and feel both immersion breaking and poorly written. Take a look at Hogwarts Legacy’s fantastic introduction:

For most stories, rising action takes the bulk of the story. In Papers, Please, the border tension and difficulty in keeping your family slowly escalates till it comes to a climactic release. In Skyrim, the consequences of failure begins at personal loss to losing your life to an entire city being decimated to the potential obliteration of mankind. The rising tension often, but does not always, include a rise in gameplay difficulty. It Takes Two does not scale difficulty, unfortunately to its own demise. As the enchanted couple get closer and closer to their goal of returning to their human bodies, the characters get more and more thrilled… and you do not. Rather than building mechanics upon each other, whenever a new mechanic is introduced, the old one is thrown out.

(You needn’t watch the entirety of the bossfight, but witness how the second boss in the game is nearly identical in difficulty and complexity to a late-game boss.)

So many mechanics that have an incredible amount of potential are simply thrown out after one use. This severely hinders the depth of gameplay and engagement. Portal 2 takes a similar approach, but rather than become another infamous AAA title, it is widely regarded as a witty and engaging masterpiece. What makes Portal 2 different?

For starters, although difficulty is not changing, the baseline difficulty of the game is consistently higher than It Takes Two. This allows the entire game to be more engaging than the former example. Additionally, Portal 2 fleshes out its concepts. There is no weak point to the game, as all of the simple mechanics are explored so thoroughly that the player simply must try with all his or her might to keep up with the developers’ creativity. As this is the case. In as simple of terms as possible, while It Takes Two attempts to add new game to new game, Portal 2 redefines itself every single level, leaving players guessing what will be the next big twist on its original concept.

Designing narrative tension is easy to learn but hard to master. Often, in games such as Five Nights at Freddy’s, the game’s narrative tension is directly correlated to the tension of the gameplay. As with many horror games, the two strongest jumps in narrative tension are the introduction and the conclusion. In order to derive the strongest emotions in a player, you must either give them relatable characters and/or situations, or you must completely engross them in gameplay. This makes every moment count as a thrilling memory.

For example, in Five Nights at Freddy’s, the beginning is meant to feel immersive, as both the character and player are completely ignorant of what is occurring. This gives significant relatability and, as the situation you find yourself in is less than desirable, a unique fear of the unknown emerges. As the player shifts from emotional stimulation to mental stimulation, the game consistently ups its fear, once again immersing the player in the moment. This shifts the fear of the unknown to the fear of failure, which only consistently increases as tensions rise.

Keeping narrative tension is an ever-present problem that constantly requires a creative solution. Fortunately for us, this also means there are many examples for us to study.

In EA’s masterpiece PVP title Battlefield 1, an interesting narrative tension technique is implemented. Narrative tension is nearly impossible to withhold in an online game, as player interactions are nearly impossible to predict. However, rather than narrate a specific character, the Battlefield narrative is given per-army. An initial combat scenario is given, and if one side wins that battle, they will advance to the next frontier, thereby pushing the opposing army into a defensive gamemode next round. However, if one side is nearing a defeat, the game will implement a cutscene and grant the losers a final hail-mary strike with a Behemoth. This is excellent design, as it prevents one side from losing hope of a victory.

A brilliant example of how to hold narrative tension in an open-world game is Project Zomboid. I have mentioned this game briefly in my previous article, and it is discussed for good reason. From the beginning of the game to the very last breaths your survivor takes, the world is constantly finding new ways to surprise and end you. The first few days of your survival is all about surviving in the shadows.

You are forced to flee from hordes of undead, as you have few resources to be creative with and your character isn’t a god: he needs a break often. During this time, you have to consistently manage hunger, health, water, boredom, stress, and panic meticulously. Once you get yourself situated and begin to master managing these effects, an entire new wave of issues besets you. That hammer that kept you alive for so long? It’s not invincible, find a way to repair it. You took a risk and ate that soup on the counter? You have a stomach bug now, stay alive. You took a fall? There’s a deep laceration, find medical equipment to stitch it up or it won’t heal properly.

Presuming you manage to survive long enough, the game hurls another tidal wave of hurdles upon you. You managed to forage and sneak in the shadows well, but now the power is off and all the food you find will be rotten. How are you going to eat? You made a garden, lovely, but where are you going to get water for it? You made rain collectors, wonderful. How are you going to purify the water? As the intricate systems of Project Zomboid are so dynamic and in-depth, the challenges that arise from them are equally as diverse. Old challenges are not casually thrown away, but rather left for the player to master and feel rewarded out of. What is most fascinating of all, however, is the narrative tension throughout the playthroughs. As a rogue-lite, your knowledge and skill increases in every playthrough, thereby creating an infinitely increasing tension as you survive for longer and longer. Every death is just a down in the narrative and every day you live longer is one more hurdle to overcome.

Some games, such as Undertale, keep the mood of the game separate from the difficulty, whereas others, such as Little Nightmares, keep the dramatic tension of the story the center of attention for the entirety of the gameplay. There is no right way to do narrative tension. Like all parts of the storytelling arts, it is best to learn why tropes and trends, such as a narrative slope, is so impactful before deviating form them.

There are many exceptions to these rules, two being stark examples. Stardew Valley has a fascinating tension chart, as it actively attempts to release you from your strenuous tasks as you progress. Rather than increasing in difficulty, the game decreases and nearly (but not quite) devolves into a tycoon game. As you acquire better tools and craft more profitable and less manual-labor intense things, your gameplay slows down, allowing you to do the things you enjoy and desire to do for fun, such as play the arcade machines, become close friends with the community members, and fish for rare specimens. This is an intriguing trend, as the game actively encourages you to make the difficulty more lax. Excitement arises at new spectacles that allow you to free more of your time until you have as much free time as your heart desires.

Pokémon has a roughly similar strategy with intriguingly different results. Rather than beginning at an intensive level, Pokémon games for the most part continue at an equal level of difficulty. The game never requires you to get better or to try something new or to solve a new mystery. In sync with its linear gameplay mechanics, the flow of the game continues at a basic pace of:

• Find a new PokĂ©mon / evolve your PokĂ©mon
  • Upgrade your PokĂ©mon
  • Battle until you level up
  • Get the Gym Badge
  • Rinse and repeat

Due to this lack of skill requirement or narrative tension, the player is less inclined to engage with the story and core gameplay mechanics. Rather, there are several other reasons to play. Some enjoy the Pokémon franchise due to this lax nature and use it as a relaxing experience rather than a challenging game. One of the main selling points, however, is its unique bestiary which caters to male and female players, primarily of a younger age range. This also brings in a solid excuse for its sorely lacking difficulty in gameplay, as Pokémon is many children’s first experience with a video game. One should not be so quick to critique Pokémon, as it is the highest grossing multimedia franchise in the world. Clearly, they did something right. Finally, some players enjoy the experience of optimizing and the quick reward of strategic evolution and levelling decisions. For example, most novice players will quickly discard a Magikarp, while experienced players can choose to take the added difficulty of playing with an extremely weak Pokémon for future profit. Of course, all of this challenge matters little, as you can easily beat the game without a second thought and no additional adventures pursued, but the emotion you give players from their intentional critical thinking is what is really sold well here.

Personal note: if you would like to try a fairly decent Pokémon game, my personal favorite is Pokémon Emerald. Give it a shot if you have the time, even if you have never touched the franchise. You might enjoy yourself more than you expected. I sure did!

Finally, if you have the time, please watch this excellent short video essay on how the Mario franchise dynamically changes the tension and difficulty real-time:

Magic Circles

Magic Circles are an integral concept that should be added to your vocabulary if you desire to pursue any narrative storytelling design in the future. Put as simply as possible, a magic circle is the new set of rules that the world you are creating is run by in place of the confines of actual reality. For example, in Voidtrain, your understanding of the common laws of physics and science are replaced by the fantastical steampunk world of space nazis and adorable six-legged Rofleemos.

Two serious pitfalls come into play when creating your magic circle: real-world comparison and consistency. Consistency is often the most major issue, so let us discuss this first.

In Resident Evil: Village, it is established early in the game that First Aid Meds can heal all sorts of injuries, from gaping holes in your torso to gunshot wounds. Even then, however, the scene in which the protagonist “glues” his severed hand back on is pushing the limits and was not entirely well-received by critics. Even though this concept had been theoretically established beforehand, the outlandishness of it all in relation to real-world scenarios and what is has been seen used for before makes this pushing the limits of the magic circle set for the world. However, imagine how much worse this scene would be if outstanding injuries were not healed beforehand! Giving clear definitions to any fictional logic in your world will do wonders to increase immersion and the effectiveness of your story.

Some narratives break their magic circle consistently, such as the new Star Wars films. This has been the biggest gripe of many a dedicated fan, as established facts were utterly discarded in favor of a potentially dramatic reveal. This both decimated fans’ trust in the series as well as severely reduced the emotional captivation of the intended revelations. For example, it was canonically established that only Sith, EXTREMELY powerful Sith, can conjure force lightning. When Rey spontaneously acquires this new ability without even a pathetic attempt at explaining the plot holes, the immersion of the story falls apart.

Magic circles are intended to replace real-world boundaries. As such, it is dangerous to create a magic circle that overlaps with reality without doing the proper research. For example, I am a dungeon master for a homebrewed Pathfinders campaign. As I am creating the world, I must be extremely intentional with how I create the story, as every opportunity I deny the players due to a lack of narrative consistency is a missed opportunity for a fantastically creative moment. As there are lunar events in my campaign, I had to create a predictable orbit of the moon. Because the moon must be predictable, there must be a calendar. As the calendar must be applicable, I had to create seasons, tides, lunar cycles, and even a rough outline of the solar system so that the party can use every piece of the world to their advantage. If I were to not create my own calendar, or even worse, create a calendar but not inform the players that it exists, they would assume that all of the aforementioned subjects work as the real world does. This could cause significant issues in the story as a whole as well as ruin creative plans (such as “Let’s hold off on attacking the Werewolf tonight because it will be a full moon”).Such research and worldbuilding can be applied to everything from local taverns to basic adventuring. If something is canonically (or potentially canonically) a variation from real-world guidelines, it is absolutely essential that this be spelled out before it becomes applicable to the narrative. This is painted to perfection in the Sherlock Holmes book series (and BBC television adaptation), as every minute detail is researched thoroughly enough to reward a perceptive and well-informed reader with essential clues.

This about summarizes the basics in narrative design. There is so, so much more I desperately desired to write about, but alas, I am at my eleventh page of writing and most certainly my Gen Z readers have dozed off. I would love to have discussed creating side quests, intentional breaking of magic circles, and how to make decisions feel real and meaningful, but I will save those all for a future endeavour. I even held off on analyzing one of the best plots in media history, that of Inscryption, both due to severe spoiler issues and word count. Instead, I will make a clear, short list of titles and videos you MUST experience if at all possible. I implore you, if you have any spare time whatsoever, please, please go through this list. They are some of the objectively best narrative experiences that are on the market today. Thank you for reading, and as always I am completely open to feedback, new opinions, and critiques. I look forward to writing the next article!

MUST HAVE experiences

BBC’s Sherlock – It’s Sherlock. You literally can’t get better than this.

Inscryption – This is the best video game of all time, in my opinion. do NOT spoil it for yourself!!!

Detroit: Become Human – Potentially some of the most timeless and perfected branching narrative in gaming history.

The Stanley Parable – the end is never the end is never the end is never the end is never

Further reading

Shadiversity – for all things medieval and fantasy

Game Maker’s Toolkit – a wonderful resource for finding game design concepts. Mildly politicized but overall ignorable.

Indie Games: The Complete Introduction to Indie Gaming – a thorough and light read for those who wish to seriously study. I recommend this as pre-college preparation for anyone going into game design as an occupation.

7 Likes
  • Procedural Generation
  • Minecraft Basic Modding Tutorial
  • Creating Dynamic Lighting in Flowlab
  • How to Write Good Characters
  • Designing Co-op Experiences
  • How to Make a Good Puzzle
  • Giving your game the feel you want
  • Other…?
0 voters

Oh, and one more thing…
If you are looking to tinker with narrative design, I cannot recommend Twinery enough! Use it to create simple text adventures/branching narrative paths. At the very least, it is an excellent tool to pre-plan your real game’s decisions.

4 Likes

This would be awesome.

2 Likes

I find it funny that he mentioned pokemon without mentioning the two (maybe three?) instances where the games have some narrative weight

It’s not outstanding, by any means, but it’s there

2 Likes

You are certainly correct that there is definitely a plot to all of the Pokemon games, but it gets so repetitive and has absolutely no tension whatsoever due to its predictable and linear narrative, giving it very little weight. You are certainly correct, however, in that I should have mentioned it at least a little and the pitfalls it provides example to. Thanks for the feedback!

3 Likes

In most cases the narrative is very weak (become the strongest, also beat up those criminals over there)

And while it’s not peak storytelling or anything, and it is dampened by the lack of any stakes, the 5th gen games (Black/White/Black2/White2) dared to challenge the fundamental values of Pokemon, that being the ethical side of how trainers and Pokemon coexist.

I’ll won’t write out the whole story here, but it begins when you enter some otherwise forgettable town to witness Ghetsis preaching to a crowd to free their Pokemon from being forced to do human’s bidding, which goes against everything the player has been taught up to this point. While Ghetsis himself ends up being a typical villain (although treating his own adopted son as a subhuman freak after he refuses to help him any further is a new low for Pokemon villains), there were some in team plasma wo did have good intentions.

By the time of B2/W2, team plasma has split into “actually helping better Pokemon’s lives” led by the son and “literally terrorists” led by Ghetsis. However, most of the characters don’t know of the difference and treat all of them the same, including you rival Hugh. Hugh has one goal throughout the story; find his sister’s Pokemon that was stolen by team plasma. He comes off as aggressive and singleminded, but by the end he mellows down a bit.

When I first played Black 2 and saw Hugh finally find his sister’s Pokemon feral, discarded, and barely recognizable? That hit hard.

2 Likes

Alright, I’m going to begin on the Game Feel article since the tie has not been broken. Stay tuned! I estimate it will take less than a week.

4 Likes