Ghost Gunner - Dev Log

Hey, gang!

Because of some future plans I have for the game, I had to rework the save system so instead of the game sending you back to the last mini gauntlet room you beat when you die, it sends you to the last mini gauntlet roon you’ve entered when you die. I know it’s small but it was definitely something I needed to rework. If this makes your playthrough a but funky then you may have to start a new game so everything is working properly. Sorry for any inconvenience.

8 Likes

Hey, gang!

Hope you’ve all been enjoying Ghost Gunner! I made the game to celebrate the Halloween season but I couldn’t resist giving a little love to the next big calendar holiday. I’ve added a secret ending to the game called the Turkey Route! It has new enemies, a new boss, and new areas to explore! It’s nothing huge but it’s an extra thing to do for anyone who’s beaten the game or anyone who just likes exploring. However, if you’re gonna get there you’ll need to find a new powerup hidden somewhere in the forest.

Hope you enjoy it!

11 Likes

Is it out now? Can’t wait:D

5 Likes

Yessir it is out now! Go celebrate Thanksgiving the Ghost Gunner way!

6 Likes

Hey, gang!

Happy Thanksgiving! Hope everyone is enjoying the holiday! After a big update I usually take a nice week off before getting back into major game dev stuff but I really wanted to add in a little shopkeeper before moving onto other bigger stuff.

So next time you pass through the forest be sure to stop by and see if you can get anything. It’s all free but he won’t just give it away. He only gives away his wares to real fighters so be sure to talk to him after taking on a big baddie.

8 Likes

Hey, gang!

We made it to 5,000 plays!

That’s so cool! Thank you to everyone playong and supporting the game, it means a whole lot. I don’t have any big updates but be weary as you play the game because I’m reworking the camera and spawn system so the game may be a bit wonky these next few days. It’ll be neccessary for all the stuff I want to do later down the line though.

Thanks again for the Ghost Gunner love! Hope the game keeps giving you all fun :blush:

9 Likes

1 Like

Hey, gang!

Super cool update, Ghost Gunner now has controller support! I didn’t update the description of the game yet but here’s the mapping:

Movement - Left stick
Shooting - Right trigger
Reload - Right shoulder
Enter/Interacting - B button (A for switch controller)
Pause - Start button
Fullscreen - Back (minus for switch)
Leaderboard - X button

Hope this is a good layout and let me know if it needs tweaking or if I forgot to give something controller support.

I’ve also implemented the Camera+ bundle by @JR01 which is such a great asset! I also used his controller example to help with Ghost Gunner’s controller support.

One last thing, the ever-impressive @rcreger who helped with Ghost Gunner’s soundtrack has just released his new album POND which you can check out here: POND and it is absolutley wonderful! If you enjoyed his Ghost Gunner work then be sure to check his other works, you won’t regret it!

12 Likes

Thanks for the ad XD

Now I need to go an dig up my controller to try out Ghost Gunner with it, sounds fun!

4 Likes

yeeeep :heart_eyes:
it’s cool and great

review product

I am happy for you! very cool!

2 Likes

Hey, gang!

Just a small update this time around. I’ve been working on little additions and features for polish and presentation. Here’s most of the notable additions:

• Icon to indicate which bullet type you are using next to the ammo
  • Fog effect in one of the mini gauntlets and the final boss
  • Death animation/effect for all enemies and there is a sfx to indicate when you hit an enemy

Things have been kinda slow because I’m focusing on reworking and improving a lot of systems as I begin to really expand Ghost Gunner. I want to get the base stuff worked out before I get knee-deep in the rest of the game. I’ve also been planning some major story stuff but I’ll get into that in the coming months probably. Just expect polishing and miscellaneous updates for a while as I work on a bunch of back door stuff.

Happy holidays!

8 Likes

Hey, gang!

:tada: Ghost Gunner made it to 10,000 plays! :tada:

That’s so incredible, thank you to everyone who is still enjoying the game! I also want to mention that with the Flowjam passing, I’ll be working more on Ghost Gunner again. I’ve been replaying the game and taking out some bugs and I’ve also switched the New Game and Continue buttons on the menu so people don’t accidentally select new game because they’re rushing (like I did a hundred times).

I really missed working on this. Thanks for playing and I hope you look forward to the next update!

10 Likes

Hey, gang!

Things are kinda slow for game development right now because it’s a pretty busy time of year for me. However, I’ve been pushing along with working on a new area in Ghost Gunner. Following the end of the year theme, this one will be representing December! I don’t have a lot to show because it’s all still pretty early in development but here’s a look a what it will be like:

I’m also trying to get a dash mechanic worked out so traveling the map is a bit more tolerable. I’ve tried out a lot of different dashes and I think I’m close to something I like. Hopefully I’ll be satisfied with something soon so you all can get from place to place faster!

12 Likes

That makes me wonder…how in the world does he hold a gun…I mean it takes a lot of energy for ghosts to hold stuff, so this ghost must be training with the jedi.

3 Likes

After careful consideration, I’ve decided that this is canon.

5 Likes

Hey, gang!

I haven’t had much time recently to work on Ghost Gunner but I’m working on the map and making new places to explore. Honestly, not a lot is gonna get done this month but hopefully April will be when things pick up again. Sorry for the slow development :sweat_smile:

9 Likes

Looking great so far! Good luck!!

5 Likes

Hey, gang!

Busy time of year is officially winding down for me so I’ve got some more time to work in Ghost Gunner. Updates should be a little more frequent and good progress should start being made as I’ve got a good idea as to what this game is gonna look like.

Of course, anything could happen and things could slow down again or quicken but hopefully I’ll be as consistent as I can be.

Thanks for bearing with me!

Also I made a little background for the game’s page! Could be better but it was just a little something I whipped up because I was bored.

8 Likes

Hey, gang!

I’m wrapping up work on the winter section of the game! It’s coming together really well and I’m feeling good about the progress! Unfortunately I’ve been getting a bit distracted with a side project that will hopefully pan out, but more on that on another date. Hopefully the slowdown will fizzle out soon because I’m excited to start the next section of the game.

Anyways this was just a small check in that I felt was a little overdue. I’m gonna get back to work!

4 Likes