Improving my art Journey

the bottom right is not symmetrical and it hurts my eyes

2 Likes

It is symmetrical, Idk why the image looks like that

5 Likes

I say keep going with this style, maybe start to create more objects like boxes and houses. (sorry if this isn’t specific enough, I can go further if you need)

2 Likes

Those look really nice! What color palette did you use?

1 Like

Boxy is really common for pixel art, since you usually only have a limited amount of pixels you can use, so little detail is quite common. It’s what I use a lot.

This character that I made has little shading and it looks great in the game it’s in. It’s a style that is very simple but if used right can make a game look amazing!

5 Likes

Yeah, I agree, its still easy to make something cool with just 16x16 pixels, thanks @Pixel_Name1 for giving me my inspiration

3 Likes

I’ve been getting into 8x8 now lol

1 Like

I use double highlighting now too, I think I have a specific style now, whew, I remember the dark days where I was absolutely trash at pixel art

2 Likes

hold-up, is that sparkles pallete

1 Like

Do you mind if I see some of your new pixel art? In the off-topic or something.

1 Like

yeah, I pinged you in the post flowjam thingy

@CodeAlpaca IS THAT sparkles palette, I have to know, cause it looks like it

I believe they are offline right now so you will have to wait.

1 Like

I think it’s something like Nanner pancakes? Not entirely sure what it’s called

2 Likes

yeah this is because you this is 8 bit im talking about regular 16 and 32

pixil-gif-drawing (20)
Original animation is 64x96
Back at it again. Trying to make a run cycle.
The entire thing is 7 frames long on a loop. I think 8 or 6 is typical for animations, but I chose 7.

@Baron_Wasteland any advice on run cycles? I think I could have exaggerated the pose more by making it lean forwards more, moving the shoulders more, giving the feet a little more snap, and in general making the cycle a little cleaner.

6 Likes

pixil-gif-drawing (21)

I modified it a bit to be cleaner and some of the other things I said.
It took me ~ 2 hours to make this, is that decent or bad?

9 Likes

meesa thinks decent

3 Likes

Also, I got a ton of really useful feedback on discord so I’ll be making another running animation tomorrow (hopefully)

6 Likes

I think you could take the impact of the steps more into consideration, as well as timing. Not every frame needs to be evenly spaced apart, its not runrunrunrun, its more STEP push off the ground STEP. Id look up run cycle references. Also try exaggerating the poses, you have it really tight together.
Theres a lot of stuff that goes into this but i wont overexplain. If you want me to go into detail just give me the word.

9 Likes