LevelUP Jam (Free Year of Indie!) Officially Ended

I make it up as I go :slight_smile: (also over 10 hours of work)

I’m here to have fun and improve (mainly my art skills), but also to learn something new. So far, I’ve already learned some more things involving the expression behavior, and I’ve made some neat mechanics I’ve never made before :slight_smile:

Also I don’t usually make art this good, so that’s also a plus :slight_smile:

6 Likes

Oh nice! I’m also here for those reasons, lol. I’m kinda not great at the whole ideas thing, but I’ve found an idea that I think would be really cool (if I could just figure out how to implement it into flowlab). The good thing about game jams like this is that it definitely forces me to learn how to do a TON of new things in flowlab…quickly. I just realized about 4 minutes ago that I have never used the list behavior before and I have no idea how to use it, but I need to use it for my game, lol. If I did win, that would be pretty neat, too, but I’m really just happy with the knowledge I gain from this experience.
Also, I definitely don’t have that kind of time to work on it, lol. I can only work on it for maybe an hour throughout the day, and then probably about 3 hours (maximum) in the evening, lol. But I can’t wait to see your game, though!!! I’ve kinda decided not to even look at anyone else’s submission until I’ve finished my game so that I don’t accidentally, subconsciously allow those ideas to influence my game design, or even just outright steal someone’s ideas and mechanics (without realizing, of course. I would never do that on purpose). I’m also debating whether I should focus on art more and make a really pretty, but very technically simple and possibly boring game, or make a fun game with insanely complicated code that literally uses default sprites. My hope is that I will have time for art once I finish coding, but at the rate it’s going, I’m not even sure if I’ll be done with the coding by the deadline…

5 Likes

Sounds good, and if you need any help you could always PM me. I have the Expert Guide badge for a reason! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I do school from home so I end up with a lot of free time, and I work a lot faster when I have an actual idea of what the game will look like.

5 Likes

I’ve only been doing this since yesterday, but I probably have ~12-14 hours into it. I just get into a groove and I make a ton of progress. This is also really nice because near the end I can just relax and not be worried about running out of time

5 Likes

This is what I’m hoping for!

5 Likes

I go to school, but we’ve had snow days the past three days because we’re having the worst winter storm we’ve had in 7-8 years - and I live in Michigan.

5 Likes

I do the same thing!

5 Likes

I just checked out your game! It’s actually pretty good, kind of funny because we both have the same general idea of having the player run away from it for as long as you can.

5 Likes

ok i have a new game but im not posting it yet cuz im only working on art as of now

5 Likes

ok im going to reveal the type of game im doing which is a side scroller now of course its more complicated then that but you’ll have to wait and see

3 Likes

The game is finished!

Please let me know if you find any bugs before the deadline. I’ll be polishing it until its final due date.

4 Likes

cool game!

3 Likes

No way!!! That’s crazy! You’re a literal speed demon, lol. Good job though. I mean, I haven’t looked at it yet, per my solemn oath, but I’m sure its great, lol. I did sorta figure out how to make the main part of my game work, thanks to a TON of help from @“draftysciencecoat75” and @“tinkersmith”, so that’s neat. DSC hit me up with those step by step instructions AND an example. Which was awesome. To be clear, we ARE allowed to receive assistance from others, right? We just can’t create a dev team or team up with someone with indie with the intent to utilize their indie benefits? @lonesable?

6 Likes

As long as it’s just feedback and help request type of assistance then that is fine. I would suggest keeping it to a minimum as to avoid complication of your elements going from “inspired by” to “suggested by”.

6 Likes

Ahhh, ok. Just making sure, lol. I definitely want to try to limit the amount of outside help I receive to a minimum, but this was literally something that I had never attempted before and it appears to be something that has never been done on flowlab before. So that’s exciting

7 Likes

The last day is next saturday right

3 Likes

end date is feb 11th

2 Likes

So I have plenty of time to polish, good :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I basically finished my game as well, just working on sound and a few other things

2 Likes