Test release of Android app export

Well done Mhx - thanks for taking the time to play!

Looks like it’s a one off payment:

https://support.google.com/googleplay/android-developer/answer/6112435?hl=en-GB

Google Play now take a couple of hours to review, not much time really. Someone actually looks at your app to ok it, checking the content rating. You used to just upload and it would be there in 45mins.

Grazier - Have you made any progress on harnessing revenue from displaying adverts within the flowlab games? At least that way if one of the games takes off there’s the chance of making some money!

M

I was actually wondering the same thing. Ads on loading screens or death screens would be great. It would be nice to be able to generate enough money to build the game again, from scratch. I was actually very curious whether save states or wifi multiplayer would be possible. If not, then I’d definitely have to hire a coder one day.

agreed. but so far we could only manage stuff like Flappy bird multiplayer? wonder how that would turn out…

@muddyapples do you have to reprogram you game to add the touch screen programming

@grazer I found a new bug. Animations on mobile are extremely choppy and usually missing frames. Running looks terrible, and special effects go unnoticed because they basically get skipped when the frames are skipped. Wait, is there just some sort of frame skipping in general to speed up the games?

which game are you testing?

Any game. This one currently. Want me to email you the .apk or do you have access to it?
http://flowlab.io/game/play/180979

The running is super choppy and the teleport animation is sped up and skipped.

Great start Mhx, very difficult to make the jumps!

Oh it’s not super hard, I usually get to the end within 15 seconds. Just the slippery walls and wall kicks may take a few tries. Use S to speed burst run.
The problem is that multiclick doesn’t work, so I can’t get anywhere on Android.

Hey Mhx,

I’m checking out your game now, I’ll figure out why it’s so laggy on Android.

Part of the reason may be due to all the large background images. Why not try to just use a single image and make it loop (in the Scroll behavior)?

It loops above and below as well, and that bothers me. Besides, eventually I’m going to get rid of a lot of the images, for individual different backgrounds, with islands, buildings, and different clouds. I’m surprised the game is so laggy for having almost nothing in it. It makes me worry that it will never be able to handle a 5000x5000 level.

Ok, so I took a look at your game. The first thing I noticed is that there was a crash on restart, so I fixed that (you’ll need to rebuild the apk).

After that, I looked at the performance. It’s running great here - a solid 30 fps, but performance can vary wildly between devices. Tile rendering is the issue, I believe: I’m using a custom tile blitting engine that is very fast on the web & desktop, but is not good at all for mobile graphics hardware. Flowlab contains a mobile specific renderer as well, written for the iPhone engine which is much faster - I need to tweak a few things before I enable it though.

As far as level sizes go, it’s difficult to say what the upper bounds are - only a small portion of the level is rendered and updated at any given time, so we should be able to scale up to pretty large levels if needed with a bit of optimization.

Next up I’ll look at the multitouch problem, but it’s getting late :slight_smile:

Alright @grazer, thanks for the update. One thing I’m curious about is how to stop objects from getting confused off screen. I’ll walk up to something and it acts normal, I walk away and come back to it, and it’s floating away or something. I believe it restarts its behaviors instead of continuing where it left off. Let’s say an object goes up and down with a timer, it ended on going down, and loads going down again. Every time it gets off screen, it goes down even more.

You said you updated the system, so I rebuilt the .apk, but now it won’t download. It just stays at 0% until Download Unsuccessful. Maybe I’ll have try again tonight.

Alright, so it will download from my email, but not from the site itself. Odd.
Here’s a new bug since the updated rebuild. Now the top 1/4 of the game is cut off, and there’s a 1/4 of the screen bottom that’s just black when in Landscape mode. The same applies to 1/8 of the left of the game off screen, and an 1/8 on the right is black.

Screenshot_2015-04-30-15-43-29

Mhx, Is your document set up 480x320? I’m not 100% certain but that might be causing the screen issues…

What do you mean by “document”?

The size of the canvas/build settings. With Rude Cube I made the width 15 squares (480px) x 10 squares (320px) which was the standard size of the iphone screen. Those sizes also worked/resized fine on my android.

I’m not sure how Grazier has configured this aspect of the export.

Also, with retina screen displays I’m not sure what the plan is, Grazier will have to chime in here.

Cool Android App Verison Of FlowLab Game
Awesome!!!:D!