Alpaca Reviewing Station

Minecraft: The Overseether

Art

What I like about the Art

What about the Art could be better

1. It’s hard to tell when you are pushing the character because all the blocks are a grid pattern so you can’t really see the motion of the floor
  2. The ground should extend all the way to the bottom of the screen
  3. Nothing unique about the art style, there also isn’t much to judge it off of
  4. Using pixel art is better than taking a picture and uploading it. The drawing seems out of place
  5. If you do continue to use drawings make sure the image is straight and not at a skewed perspective
  6. I would recommend changing it to be laid out in a comic style instead of needing to drop down a hole.

Art Score: 1

Fun

What about the game is Fun

What aspects could be changed to make it more Fun

1. Change moving the character with the mouse to arrow keys or WASD
  2. An even better thing would be to get rid of the character and instead make it so you flip through pages of a book
  3. There isn’t anything to do

Fun Score: 1

Sound

What about the Sound I like

What parts of the Sound could be better

1. There is no sound
  2. Music to fit what chapter you are on would be good. (Once again, would work better in a book/comic book style game)

Sound Score: 1

Creativity

What I think is Creative

What could be improved

1. It’s based on Minecraft/Minecraft Story Mode. Not enough give to tell if it’s an original idea.

Creativity Score: 1

Overall

Art Score: 1
Fun Score: 1
Creativity Score: 1

Final Score: 1

pixil-frame-0 (12)

@Overseether_Author there are only 4 objects so it’s hard to rate a game/story on that. The play time is also less than a minute so that also makes it hard to rate

9 Likes

I’ve done a few updates so, when you do it there will be some differences.
:+1:

4 Likes

ok, now it is in the final form.

3 Likes

So how busy is CodeAlpaca

1 Like

very. hes the biggest tell-noobs-how-to-flowlab guy

2 Likes

Yes, I am quite busy. I have been doing things that would make most people’s heads explode in envy. Maybe that’s an exaggeration idk, but I should be finished within a week, so other people can tell me then.

But I did manage to get a review in

4 Likes

Math Adventure

Review by @CodeAlpaca

Art

1. Seems consistent?

1. Add more things, it’s currently just a black background.
  2. The placement of the equations could be better.

Art Score: 3

Fun

1. Pretty simple and easy to understand.

1. Your score should reset every time you play. This will bring in an aspect of the game for getting the best streak. (You could still count the total number of points if you wanted, but I would recommend having the leaderboard based on your best score in a single round. This would also prevent the very very easy cheating)
  2. Harder problems. Currently, the problems are some pretty basic addition, multiplication, and division. Like someone else said difficulty modes.
  3. You should choose where you go when clicking the “Leaderboard” button. Currently, it takes you to the leaderboard, but in the shop, it goes Credits → Leaderboard → Shop. You have no choice where you go.
  4. (THIS WILL NOT IMPACT YOUR FINAL SCORE). I’m dying from the fact that you used different levels for the type of problem. Why does a game that can be made with 6 objects have 206 in it?! Ok, I’m going to stop looking at that code before my eyes burn (no offense). But seriously, it’s tearing at my soul how unorganized and inefficient everything is.
  5. Sometimes it takes a long time to load the next question
  6. Maybe the number of points gained from each question should vary based on how quickly you solved it.
  7. Just an idea, but what if you made this an actual game. Let me paint you a word picture. You’re the teacher of the high school math team and you need to win math competitions to improve your classroom. With the money you earn from the competition, you would be able to buy items and actually see the classroom improve. Just an idea.

Fun Score: 2

Sound

What about the Sound I like

1. There should be a sound for when you answer correctly/incorrectly
  2. Music doesn’t seem to fit.

Sound Score: 2

Creativity

What I think is Creative

1. I haven’t really seen this before on Flowlab, so I guess it’s new.

What could be improved

1. Nothing that makes it stand out.

Creativity Score: 2

Overall

Art Score: 3, Not a lot to judge it off of.
Fun Score: 2, There’s only so much you can do with a math game like this. Adding more of a competition aspect could help.
Sound Score: 2, Could be better.
Creativity Score: 2, Not much to it.

Final Score: 2.25

pixil-frame-0 (22)

@Jsoft_Studios it’s just hard to rate an education(?) game like this. It does have some potential to be a lot more fun.

8 Likes

:grin: :slightly_smiling_face:

2 Likes

Thanks for your review CodeAlpaca! I will use your constructive criticism to try and improve my game. :smiley:

2 Likes

Thanks for the review!

3 Likes

I am sorry to everyone waiting in line currently, but Kiwi wanted a review right now. Also, kiwis are my favorite fruit.

3 Likes

Pottery Ninja

Reviewed by @CodeAlpaca

Art

1. The background seems to be a consistent color palette
  2. I like the breaking effect of the pots.
  3. The water is nice, maybe making it slightly less transparent with a little texture would be good.

1. (THIS WILL NOT COUNT TOWARDS YOUR FINAL ART SCORE). JR01 posted a great Tile Map example, it will speed up the level-making process a lot and save on objects. I would honestly recommend this to anyone that is using a tileset.
  2. (THIS WILL NOT COUNT TOWARDS YOUR FINAL ART SCORE). The pottery fragments should just be animation frames instead of multiple different objects. This will give you even more objects.
  3. The stabbing motion of the Sais is slow, speed it up and make it more impactful.
  4. The font for the number of coins collected should be more noticeable.
  5. I would change the parallax amount so the background moves a little slower
  6. Think about adding a little bit more to the underground texture (As long as it isn’t distracting)
  7. Not sure how well the ground matches the character.
  8. The Sais is large compared to the player, make it smaller.
  9. I would change the double jump particle to either be more like dust or something more unique.

Art Score: 5

Fun

1. … Not sure yet.

1. It feels like you fall too fast.
  2. For players using the touchpad, the controls are a bit awkward.
  3. There isn’t much to do currently besides smashing some pots.
  4. Once something like a shop is added and more gameplay aspects I’m sure it will be more fun.
  5. You fall under the mao when you hit the water.

Sound

1. There is no sound.
  2. Smashing pots need a sound, jumping needs a sound, landing needs a sound, water needs a sound, just slashing needs a sound, etc.
  3. Music or some sort of background noise is also needed.

Creativity

What I think is Creative

1. Maybe this could be an interesting game when finished, hard to tell in the current state,

Creativity Score: 4

Overall

Art Score: 5
Creativity Score: 4

Final Score: 3

pixil-frame-0 (23)

@KiwiLeaf_Entertainment, there’s a lot that still needs to be worked on, but it’s a good start.

8 Likes

Lol you know i’m going to be adding most of that. Thabk you for telling me about the parallax though it did seem a little off. As for the animation for the pot fragments I will keep the particles because it seems more random and realistic. As for running out of objects I do plan to get indie when I need it so it wont be a problem. Also yeah the sai is definitely too big. The particle for the double jump is supposed to be a cloud. There will be bosses and enemies as well. Also do you think im a fool, whats a game without music of course im adding music thats what makes a game is the music. (this is passive don’t reply negatively) Any way thank you for the feed back I do plan to make a lot of changes and additions.

5 Likes

Sometimes your word choices make you sound rude when you aren’t trying to be. I learned this the hard way.

6 Likes

Yeah Ive learned this the hardway over 5 times you are the only one who will understand this though because your the only one who knows how lol.

3 Likes

Just tryin to keep this thread alive :+1:

2 Likes

Here’s an old game I made; I tried playing it and fixed a couple bugs.
Note that only the arcade mode really works right. Also you can’t die, but it’s still fun.

3 Likes

Using one object with animations can give the exact same effect. The reason to use this method over using different objects is

1. To save on objects (even as an indie user having fewer objects makes things easier to navigate)
  2. You can use a single spawn/emit (I’m assuming you’re using emit) instead of several just for a breaking effect.

Hard to tell currently, a bit more texture or some other effect may help to tell the player what it actually is.

Thanks, I don’t plan on having this thread die, but it’s been inactive because I feel like I’m in the home stretch of finishing my game so I’ve been focusing on it more. As to what this game is I won’t reveal anything because it’s pretty small and giving away any details would spoil it

4 Likes

OOOOOOOOoooooooooo…
I look forward to playing your new game Mr/Ms. Alpaca. Also, have fun makin your game!

1 Like

Raise a noob!!!

2 Likes