Top-of-the-line reviews! (The Crigence Critique)

@Crigence I dont have a game for you to Judge, But I made some fan art for you! It’s to show how much of a help you are to the flowlab community, and I think i speak for everyone when I say you are a big help to all of us! Thank you for what you do!

We appritiate you! -Baconcat008.

(Ps: Sorry about the sloppy handwriting)

10 Likes

Thank you for the fan art, it made my day a little brighter! Love it!

(Sorry for the late reply, I’ve been busy with other projects for a good while)

5 Likes

You are very welcome! I’m glad you enjoyed it :3

3 Likes

Hey, @Crigence! G here. My new game just came out for Flowlab, and it’d be cool if you’d check it out! Thanks for the consideration.

Basic Info on the Game's Premice

*Hello, Dasher! We have yet another job for you. And with it, comes some good news! You’re about to get one helluva payday, credits galore! The ship you’ll be fixing today is PATRIOT C5, a retired American Fighter turned space hotel. But, what’s Yang without his Yin? *
Your ship appears to have crashed at the base of the ship, but that’s fine, so long as you can make it to your destination: The cockpit. And please watch out for the ship’s security. They don’t seem to be too fond of random space engineers crashing into the bottom of a giant rocket with millions of people aboard.

- Your Helping Hand; “Buddy”

If you find a non-Flowlab Engine related bug, please report it here, if you don’t mind.

2 Likes

Just a simple little game.Doesn’t have a story,doesn’t have a. timeline.Just a game.

2 Likes

Hey I just released Rise. Can you review it?

6 Likes

What do you think of this game?

4 Likes

Speaking of Gamougg…
Hey @Crigence, could you review this? It’s WIP, but I just crunched it out in three hours. Have fun, and see if you can beat 523, my highscore!

Also, can you review this game? I made it for Dino Dev’s twister jam.

3 Likes

It says it’s impossible to get over 500 but I got 536…

3 Likes

4 Likes

Yeah. I need the health sprite to set the score to 0, since the cover was doing that but I took it out…

1 Like

So, in-case it isn’t obvious, I lost control of The Crigence Critique’s description a while ago, because the Flowlab forums in 2021 have some of the most aggressive measures against… I’m not even sure that iv’e ever seen.

To be blunt, I think locking people out from editing their own threads and updating their information all because they have better things to do than hammer out posts on the forums seems like it hurts the common user more than it hurts… Whatever that measure is trying to stop, but that’s just me.

Regardless, I wanted to update my “Favorites” list, but couldn’t update the threads’ description, so I made this instead. Let’s set the ground rules before we begin: I’m trying to go for a sort of “Flowlab Variety Pack”, and in-order to best achieve that, Iv’e set the following rules:

• 1 game per developer, decided by who I deem as the games “Director”
  • When it comes to attributes, My value hierarchy for this list goes Uniqueness < completeness < scale < etc
  • The game must have a rating of 3.5 or over to even be qualified for this list

The reason I decided to make a post discussing my favorite Flowlab games instead of a new thread is because 1. A post can be shared around easier and 2. I have more liberty to edit it. That, and of course this list relies heavily on The Crigence Critique to make picking games easier. With that out the way, enjoy this lazy top 10 list!

10 - Super Blocky Festival!, @ShadowGaming
https://flowlab.io/game/play/1597351
I’m gonna be honest, even though this game is unique when compared to other games on the list and fits the “Flowlab Variety Pack” that i’m going for here, there’s probably some subconscious bias in the decision to put this on the list over some other games that are more complete (I played a LOT of Mario Party as a kid). Still, this game has a good variety of fun mini-games and will keep you entertained and charmed all the way through!

9 - Idle Gear, @cCarbot

Yeah, i’ll admit I didn’t give the game as much credit as it deserved during its review. It did some pretty unique things that still haven’t been attempted very much today, including a day/night system, UI that doesn’t succ, a more realistic damage system, etc, and all of that was achieved in the space of 2 weeks. Regardless, it still qualifies for this list due to its 3.5 and, as you’ll see me mention shortly, it’s still a “Fun distraction”.

8 - 0G Delivery Remastered, @PostCrypter

Though this is a well-made and fun game, the reason it didn’t get higher is just due to the lack of content within the game at the time of reviewing, however the game was updated more since the last time I reviewed it, so that may not be an issue anymore. Regardless, the game is still a fun distraction if you want a break from all the more complex Flowlab games!

7 - Kid’s Quest, @Biscuit_Butter

I’m gonna be a buck 50 with ya, chief: This game isn’t as good as I remember it being. I mean, it’s still one of the few games on Flowlab that uses physics objects and physics puzzles (Which, in my opinion are a VERY under-appreciated touch in Flowlab games), but the game itself is still lacking in the visuals department and, though some of the things the game does is cool, it’s essentially just a giant gimmick-fest. Before I show you my review, i’d like to note there was a Kid’s Quest 2 in the works a while ago, but was never finished so I can’t put it on here (@Biscuit_Butter, plz fix)

6 - Wilder’s Creation, @Greggo

Ironically, despite me literally saying this game is “One of my favorites” back then, I forgot about this game until making this list! From a technical perspective, the game is impressive with its radius-based combat system and inclusion of slopes in a Flowlab game, but i’d say the game deserves more praise for the amount of levels it has! You certainly get a lot of bang-for-you-buck, or I guess time, when it comes to this game! But enough ranting, let’s see what I had to say before:

5 - Beard Your Own Adventure, @todorrobot

Yeah, I know, at the time I more-or-less said that this game is good, but not that good. But looking back on it, despite the abundant lack of gameplay, this game is still very well-made and is more likely to stand up to the test of time better than even some of the games in my top 3, due to just how different it is to everything else Flowlab has to offer. The sheer uniqueness of the game, combined with its charm and wit, definitely places it at #5.

4 - August Silence, @F3Art

That’s right, a horror game! August Silence still has to be one of the best games on Flowlab purely from a technical standpoint. I consider myself somebody who’s on the experienced side when it comes to Flowlab, and even I have no idea how he made this game so comprehensive, optimized and frankly beautiful! If you wanna see the game that set “a new standard for the big-releases of Flowlab”, give this game a shot!

3 - Pixel Sports, @MetaNinja

Whenever I think of Pixel Sports and its reception, one word always comes to mind: Under-rated. I understand that from a purely visual standpoint, yeah it’s unimpressive but the sheer scale of the content in the game is insane! Just off the top of my head, without even looking at my review, I remember that the game had

• A daily rewards system (The first on Flowlab from what iv’e seen)
  • One of the better stores on Flowlab
  • Boss battles
  • About 3 gamemodes
  • Enough unique maps for each that I forgot the total
  • Not to mention holiday events, which has to be a first for Flowlab!

Like I said, graphically the game is just OK but the sheer amount of content really makes up for it! But with all that out of the way, lets look at what my summary of the game at the time:

2 - A-Box, @rcreger

I was one of the first to sing this games praises, and I won’t be the last, but this game really does deserve this spot at #2! For starters, it is one of the first few games on Flowlab that I can think of that went all-in on the story. Most people ignore Flowlab’s storytelling capabilities, hell even I only added the ‘Story’ rating to my reviews semi-recently! So as a pioneer, the game already deserves credit, but lets see what I said about it during my initial review and re-review:

1 - Starblast Finale, @CrimsonBlackGames

You knew this was gonna be here, I knew this was gonna be here, anyone whos played it knew this was gonna be here. I think all of us can agree Starblast Finale has earned its place. There’s a lot about the game to praise, but past Crigence did a good job at that already, so I suppose I’d rather take this opportunity to mention that Starblast 3 is the first game ever submitted for The Crigence Critique, so it’s fitting the series finale is here at my #1 spot.

Still, without beating what remains of this dead horse, let’s look at what I said back when it was still fresh:

Well, that’s the entire list! Regardless of if you have a friend who’s new to Flowlab and you’re not sure what games to show him to leave a good first impression, or you’re just looking for some fun Flowlab games to play, I hope this list was helpful!

8 Likes

I know if a user is inactive they demote trusts levels with the discourse thing. I know level threes can edit other people’s discussion titles and categories, but I don’t exactly know if level 2’s have that same privilege so you might have just been demoted from inactivity since you were gone for quite a bit. Or at least that I noticed.

But I do agree, if someone gains the title of trust level three they really shouldn’t be demoted for having events outside of flowlab, but it is what it is I guess. Unless grazer can change that somehow.

3 Likes

That’s the funny part: You know how iv’e been on the platform for 3-4 years and how i’m somewhat active in the forums? Yeah, not enough for trust level 3, not enough to modify my own threads description.

Not sure if I have to send my social security number to Grazer or something in order to get Flowlab to fully “trust” me, but regardless it still seems unfair to me, especially considering I can’t figure out what they’re trying to protect from (If anything)

3 Likes

When you get demoted you should be able to edit your own posts since they’re are yours. At least that’s what I thought.
I’ve never actually made a post till I was trust level 2.
I’ve been pretty active on the forums so I haven’t had any issues regarding editing your own posts so I don’t really have a say in it, but that’s what I think.

2 Likes

I think “Trust factor” should rely either entirely, or mostly on how long your account has been around, and how much you’ve demonstrated that you know the rules. And demoting shouldn’t even be possible unless you’ve demonstrated the opposite.

Since statistically speaking, Someone who has been around for a few years and has proven that they’ve read and understand the rules (JR_01, CrimsonBlackGames, the list goes on) are far less likely to get themselves banned than someone who spam-liked every post they saw and replied to everything with “20202020202020” to get to level 1-2 in a few days is. (I haven’t seen anybody actually doing that except for just 1 user, but still)

Unless the mods aren’t actually using trust factor to gauge “Trust” and they’re using it for gauging activeness, in which case I call false-advertising
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtx0fdzRAp8

4 Likes

I think it is a bit unfair that only level 3 get to change topic names. Level 2 should be able to do that. Also, if you want to change the title of the topic, you can ask :upside_down_face:

4 Likes

It isn’t the title that’s the problem (In my case, anyway), since the “Top-of-the-line reviews!” is pretty iconic, though it would be nice if I could edit that also.

it’s the description that’s my problem, since even though I could edit it at one point (Which I forgot to mention until now, whoops), I updated it so much with newly reviewed games and such that the forums just went “no” and stopped letting me at some point, and that’s what bothers me.

If you’re gonna offer to help me change the description, though, that would be nice, yeah

2 Likes

… I’m… pretty flattered by your reaction to the game. I remember when you did an interview with me about this game, and I knew right off the bat that you saw it as an amazing project. But I didn’t expect it to make it to the top 3 favorite games.
Art and graphics is usually a major complaint against the game, and is something I am planning to fix. I am getting slightly better at it, but you’re definitely gonna see a bunch of 3 / 10 or 4 / 10 scores in the reviews for art regardless. :sweat_smile:
I will probably submit Dark Ninja to reviewers like you before actually opening the game’s demo to everyone else. Similar to how companies like Nintendo do before they actually release the game. Maybe it’ll overtake Pixel Sports, maybe not. Time will tell, but I am happy to see that my game actually received this high of praise.

Regarding your complaint over being unable to edit topic descriptions, I do believe it is strict, and that users with the Regular status (AKA Trust Level 3) should be able to edit their own topic descriptions (but not the ones made by others). So far, the only trust level that can edit topic descriptions is Leader (AKA Trust Level 4), but that also comes with a lot of other powers that is really best suited for moderators, especially since you have to be manually promoted to gain that role.

5 Likes

Yeah, I admit I’m probably a little biased in that pick, both consciously and subconsciously, considering i’m a guy who appreciates replay value above all else, and Pixel Sports is loaded with it.

I’m gonna be honest, I wasn’t expecting as many people as did to rally behind my argument about how Trust Factor should be handled, but I am happy that the community seems to agree with me on this one.

I don’t usually like bothering the moderators unless it’s absolutely necessary (Bug fix, problem even the community can’t help me with, etc), but if anyone does decide to take the initiative to try making a thread or something pitching the idea to the mods (Non-demandingly, mind you), I will give it my blessing!

5 Likes